Friday, September 14, 2018

If one car in the garage is good, two cars are even better.


These are the two smallest cars in my fleet.

This is the third and final update on my garage situation. At least for now. This whole garage episode might be considered very boring and pointless to many readers but I hope that others will find it encouraging. I will bet that many out there struggle with finding a place to work and store their hobby car. Most suburban houses built in the Bay Area since the 1960's featured an attached two car garage. When did garages become storage areas instead of refuges for our automobiles? Of course we all make do with what we have available, but wrenching is much more pleasant when you have the proper space.

My old workbench is sitting outside on the back patio while I decide what to do with it.


At my house any flat surface will soon be covered by stuff.

I found that not having  a workbench or table was already causing me some problems. While I didn't really need anything as large as my old  workbench, I still wanted a versatile table.



The 2 x 4 framework fits snugly into the angle iron table legs.
I sprayed those  red paint patches to prevent poking myself in the eye.

I mentioned last post that I had an old tool stand/table that I bought at an estate sale along with my bandsaw. This is of sturdy, angle iron construction but it is not so heavy that I couldn't move it around fairly easily. I wanted to make it even more convenient so I decided to mount it on casters. I constructed a framework of used 2x4s that slipped within the table's frame. I positioned this framework so that the table was only raised about one inch. I obtained a set of heavy duty casters from my Wife's stash. These didn't include a wheel lock, but I came up with another solution. I can slip a 24 inch long   2 x 4 under each side of the table. This will prevent the table from rolling. This entire operation didn't cost me a cent, since I used stuff that I had already lying around.

The table is a handy size. I believe that it is a mid 1960s
Sears design.


The wheels can be raised off the floor by slipping a 2x4
underneath.

Having the table on wheels makes it easier to shift the fixtures around to maximize the available space.


I managed to squeeze my Mustang into the garage to help visualize the set up with two cars. Both the XJS and Mustang are quite a bit smaller than the XJ6. Even the Mark is shorter than the XJ6 by about six inches.


There is quite difference in the styling of the two cars.

The Mark will fit easily alongside the XJS, but since it's currently not running, this is a real problem. My driveway slopes downward at a fair angle. The Mark will roll down into the garage easily but pushing it out of the garage and back up the slope would be another matter. Especially by myself!

I'm thinking that perhaps the priority should be to spend the next couple of weeks getting it running. If I can get the handbrake operational, then I could use that when moving the car. Even if the main hydraulic system isn't functional. However, I can ignore the hydraulics that operate the clutch release. I'm going to have to get under the car to remove the assembly so I can rebuild it.

I can clean up the carbs and set up some kind of fuel feed without bothering with the fuel tanks. I could even fit a small, in line electric fuel pump if it appears necessary.

Having the Mark mobile would make things so much easier. Then I could park it in the side yard while I deal with the XJ6 and XJS suspension problems. Heck, even if it isn't running I could  still just roll it into the side yard and leave it there. There's no hurry to move it since I built that other entrance into the backyard, Yeah, but I don't really want it sitting outside through another rainy Winter. But this may turn out to be the most practical and expedient choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment