Tuesday, November 20, 2018


Trading Places. Part One.

Two cars with the same mission. Separated by 45 years.

As I rapidly approach my mid 60's birthday the realization that I only have a limited time left, has made another distinct impression. To quote Peter Egan, "There are only so many Summers left!" It's also provided me with a jump start. Time to move my plans forward, again.


The Mark is cool and all, and seeing it in the picture next to my XJ6 really makes me want to hold on to it. It's a real piece of history. I have to be careful not to let it slip through my fingers. I got it really cheap and an opportunity like that might not present itself again. Low buck car collecting means holding on to what has come your way.

I really thought that I could get it running in short order. Unfortunately problems have developed that are slowing down my progress. They are not insurmountable, but I feel that I need to find a more productive use of my sometimes limited time.

So the decision was made, the XJ6 would be pulled out of mothballs to be recommissioned.

The Mark would do the walk of shame into the side yard, well it's more like the roll of shame, propelled only by the pull of gravity and the efforts of my Son and I.

As you have previously seen, the driveway has a noticeable downward slope. I knew that I couldn't push it up the slope by myself, maybe not even with my Son's help. I thought that I could use a tow strap to pull it backwards into the street, good thing that I live on a cul de sac. From the street we could push it through the driveway,and into a position to be where it could be maneuvered into the side yard.

I did have to be careful to keep this operation under control. The potential for tragedy, or at least acute embarrassment and regret are clearly present.

Of course I could have just called a tow truck to do it, but where's the glory in that? Why shouldn't I get some of the glory?

First, I backed the XJ out of the sideyard. Very carefully, I would hate to scrape the side of the car just because I was in a hurry. It's so much better when your cars are in running condition.


How long was this thing in there?


How long was that thing in there? Long enough for it to be hazy in my memory. It was under a fabric cover all that time and I would start it up and run it for a half hour so so regularly to bring the motor and transmission up to operating temperature. I would engage the transmission and move the car front and back a bit to run the transmission through it's phases moving fluid through it's channels. It also gave me an opportunity to keep the brake system exercised a bit. I didn't want things to freeze up from sitting.

It was important to add fresh fuel from time to time, and I found it necessary to hook up a battery tender. The battery would go flat if unattended and a new battery will be needed when it's returned to use.

So, how long was the XJ6 in that side yard? Almost a year and a half! Looking through my records I brought the Mark home in June of last year. The XJS had been in the side yard before that. I brought it out to do the tranny replacement. It was smog checked and insured. After that I started driving it around regularly, even to work on occasion. It was parked at the curb or in the driveway. The XJ6 was moving between those two spots also. I knew that I wouldn't be getting to the XJ for a while so it was driven into the sideyard to make room for the Mark.  I hadn't wanted to put the Mark directly into the sideyard at the time I brought it home. It would have been too hard to work on it there.  I was hoping that I could get it running and moving under it's own power. So it remained as the elephant in the driveway,


Rub a dub dub. The Cats in the tub.

With the XJ in the driveway I immediately gave it a good washing and again I am always impressed by the beauty of this machine. This is a car that is so satisfying on so many levels. It looks great, drives great, and sitting in that wood and leather lined cabin, makes every trip a special occasion. My history with the XJ started on the right foot and we've shared some adventures together. This has become my favorite car, along with my '96 Mustang. Hopefully I will someday develop a closer bond with the XJS and maybe even the Mark, but I'll have to drive them for that to happen.

Two problems had resulted in the car being taken out of service.  One had developed shortly after I bought it. The check engine light came on. This did not seem to affect any of it's operations. It ran smooth and fine and fuel economy was respectable. I drove it up into Washington state without any problems.

The second had developed over time. Excessive play developed in the steering with a distinct pull to the right. My last long trip in the car, to the Clovis British car show, rewarded me with a left front tire that had worn the inner tread of the tire almost to the cord. While long range tripping was out, I continued to drive the car to work and around town. Eventually the freeplay developed into quite a  disconcerting shimmy. Time to park it.

I then turned my efforts to replacing the transmission in the XJS. When the registration became due on the XJ,  I just paid the fees while the car sat in the sideyard. It's been more than a year since the XJ has been sidelined. During this time I bought and have been fiddling with the Mark, As well as the house, yard, sheds, garage, and so on. ( The Life that gets in the way) Now the fees on the XJ are due again. I decided it was time to mothball the Mark and get the XJ back on the road.

First things first. I need to deal with then CEL and get the car smogged. If it will pass without too much drama and expense, then I will deal with the suspension. Since I'm considering having a shop do the work I have to know that the car will be able to be registered first. There are still many things to get done. Tomorrow I'll move the Mark into it's temporary hibernation.


What is it about Jaguars?


Of course the Holiday season is bearing down on us. I''ll be turning my efforts to them pretty soon.
Happy Thankgiving! I've got a 65 year old turkey to prepare!

No comments:

Post a Comment