Monday, June 10, 2019

Gears and Gasoline. YouTube. Lot's of videos here!










I was introduced to this YouTube channel when I stumbled across their Florida to Alaska road trip series of videos. This is the first of the three videos. Honestly, I'm uncontrollably attracted to anyone's story of an epic road trip.

Even Today, a long distance, cross country motor trip can still grab the imagination. Probably because most long distance continental travel is now accomplished by air. It's so much quicker and easier to fly across the country than to drive. You use up less of your precious vacation time and can enjoy more time at your destination. But like with everything there is a price that you pay. You lose the experience of the travel itself. You lose the freedom to stop at and follow your curiosity at places that you encounter. You miss the breathtaking scenery and vistas, but on the other hand you miss hours of driving through flat boring prairie land.

I was also attracted to their earlier videos that covered a range of grass roots automotive enthusiast subjects. Their early videos explore some of the basic questions that surround the car community, such as:

"Why are we interested in Cars in the first place?"






It's a common refrain among the old guys that kids Today aren't into cars.  That might be true. I don't see any kids in my neighborhood fooling around with old Chevy Novas or even old Acura Integras, for that matter. On the other hand there's a small informal cruise in at the local Lucky supermarket parking lot on Saturday night. There are also plenty of slammed, stickered up, noisy, compacts on the local freeways. It could be that the kid's cars go unnoticed by the oldster crowd. They just look like the regular econoboxs and hatchbacks that make up a large part of the traffic around here.

Some us old guys wouldn't recognize anything but a '57 Chevy or an old Camaro. For me, a car is something that you need. But also something that you want. Cars are a means of self expression.







The easy answer to this question is a resounding Yes! Of course you can be into cars on a budget, it's not like most of us have a choice! We've got to do the best we can, with what we have. I've always said that it's a car guy's job to find the most fun he can, at a price that he can afford.





Most of my family know how to drive a stick shift. My oldest daughter and Son still have manual shift cars. I haven't driven one in a while, but I haven't forgotten. Last year as I was driving up the Oregon coast and I was explaining to my Wife how I enjoyed the act of driving itself. Even when driving an auto transmission equipped car. I explained that I enjoyed matching the rpm and power band of the motor to the hilly and curvy terrain. I would apply enough throttle to maintain our speed but not enough to cause a downshift. The narrow, twisty road requires my attention to maintain a smooth line through the curves. I told her that balancing these different inputs was a kind of "dance" with the vehicle and the road. Of course she really got a laugh out of that! My Wife has never enjoyed driving so I know that she could never relate to my explanation. I've always loved driving and riding a motorcycle, and those of you that feel the same way, know what I mean.

I still stand by that description





In this video they address a subject that is familiar to anyone who frequently visits the Internet. Luckily this is not the virulent hate that infests some dark corners of the Web. It addresses the nonchalant derision and dismissive attitude and commentary so prevalent in comment sections.

There are many different types of automotive enthusiasm. Japanese compacts, European sports and compact cars, modern Pony and Muscle cars, classic muscle cars, Lowriders, trucks and 4 X4s, collector cars, and even kit cars.

We all have our own preferences and that's quite understandable. That's what makes the car community so interesting. Most of us will find that their interests will change and develop and even "mature" over the years.

We just have to remember that a enthusiast's car is important to them. Whether it's modified or stock it is a reflection of what they want. It is an expression of who they are. If you feel a need to feel that you are better than someone else, than that is your problem, not theirs. Like our Mother's taught us, "If you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all.








Beater Cars? Who would be promoting Beater cars?  G&G makes a pretty good argument. There is a lot of freedom in driving a beater. Sometimes though, there isn't a lot of satisfaction. Of course if it is a Better Beater than it's a different story!






Just a couple of Bens. It's a great story of a couple of young guys following their passion. The quality of their videos is very high. They are very earnest in their desire to provide a quality site for their fellow enthusiasts. The content is skewed towards the import side of the spectrum, especially Japanese cars, but they have other features, a "getting to know (somebody)" that allows them to introduce other automotive personalities to their audience.


Yes, I am a fan and a subscriber. I even ordered a couple of their decals to put on my car's rear windows!




No comments:

Post a Comment