Saturday, May 2, 2020

Let's look at some of the gems that I've found on Craigslist.



                                                           Video courtesy of YouTube.


My Wife frequently asks me why I spend so much time looking at cars on the Net. I tell her that I'm looking to see if anything grabs me. You know, really fills me with the burning desire to own it. Sometimes cars can have that effect. Back in the days when I actually used to buy brand new cars I sometimes felt that way. I know that's the way a lot of us feel. That's how the sales manager can close the deal. We just have to have that car!

Even when thinking about old or just used cars, I miss that rush of seeing something that will later make me day dream about driving it down the Coast Highway. I am reminded of that silly song, by Blue Swede, "Hooked on a Feeling." The "ooga chaka, ooga chaka" lyrics are totally ridiculous, but I like the melody. Whenever I hear this song it does make me smile.

Luckily, in my old age I no longer feel that way. I can find a car interesting, and I can imagine the experience of owning and driving it. But I haven't felt that red hot car lust in many a year. Usually circumstances prevent me from buying almost anything. I've got seven cars right now, they're not all hobby cars, well, four of then are. So even if it not a lack of money It's a lack of space, Something, or more exactly a few things would have to go.

Still, it doesn't stop me from looking, and hoping!


3,800 /offer

First up is a 1929 REO Cloud. The original drive train is intact and it runs, according to the seller. Well, if I was still hung up on making a real hot rod I might bite. Even if it is a four door. It is missing the seats, interior panels and sections of floorboard.  I have learned a couple of things over the years though. For most people, really almost everybody including myself, it's much better to start out with something that has a lot of aftermarket support, like a Ford. Unless you are very experienced and have the skill to fabricate and modify different components, and you enjoy the challenge. You should also be very skilled at welding. If not, something like this will never get completed.




3,800/offer



How about a very nice "Lowey coupe," a '55 Studebaker Commander? This car was listed as having a rebuilt six cylinder motor and the photos showed that it had a very nicely redone interior. Since it is a two door sedan and not a hardtop the structure should still be solid. The other pictures show a straight car that obviously needs paint. This seems like a nice easy to complete project. I happen to like the way these cars look. Parts availability is not as good as Ford, but there are a lot of Studebaker fans out there. These are also simple cars that don't have tricky technology. So repairs are simple provided that you can get the parts. It has a Borg Warner automatic transmission. These were actually used in a lot of American Independent makes and even many foreign cars. This would be a distinctive, fun choice as long as you don't decide to try to trick it out as some kind of pro touring car. That would run into a lot of bucks. Just enjoy the car for what it is.



'72 Mustang 4,200.00/offer

                                               
Here's a '72 Mustang coupe without a vinyl top. Asking 4,200.00/offer. I could have sworn that I saw it listed at 3,600 earlier. The body is straight all around. There are photos of each side. There were a total of eleven photos posted. The interior is in good shape, it's black vinyl with the upgraded door panels.  The seller says that he's got the front bumper and it's pictured also. The under hood shot shows a complete motor with power brakes and steering but I couldn't see the a/c compressor. I would definitely hope for front disc brakes. The seller says that it runs well. A real important feature is the lack of a vinyl top because that  removes a large area of potential rust out. Overall the car looks pretty good, it doesn't seem like it would take much to turn it into a presentable daily. The paint is covering all areas of the car though the old "wet car" ploy is being used. This is a bit more expensive than I'd usually consider, for some reason the cheaper, abandoned, non running Mustangs always seem to call out to me. It definitely makes more sense to start out with a better car, and this looks like one. It's also old enough to be a pre smog car which is a real plus. I reached out to the seller via e mail just in case the listing expires and the seller doesn't relist it right away. Now I've got a direct line to the seller.


3,4900/offer



A real beauty, a 74 XJ6 with a transplanted 350 Chevy engine and transmission. It's up and running so it looks like the hard work has been done. It's a pre smog check car so that keeps things simple. The rest of the car is not too bad. The body appears to be in good shape and the paint does too. The paint style harkens back to the 1980's but it's pretty neutral. The interior was complete and intact though the seats were showing some cracks. There's a lot to recommend these transplants. The Chevy is reliable, cheap, and easy to modify. You do lose the romantic appeal of the DOHC Jaguar six, one of the major attractions of these cars, at least for me. The rest of the package retains the eccentricities of the Jag fuel, electric. and suspension systems. The early XJ6 is a very appealing car and again no smog check worries.


Original owner 1,500 dollars / offer

Look at this '77 T-Bird, 1,500 bucks and only 89 thousand miles! Just add a paint job and you can have a real nice car. These were the biggest selling T Birds ever! They had dropped down a few notches in status from their quasi Lincoln Mark IV status. Their new platform sharing lead to more popular pricing and put them directly into competition with the Chevy Monte Carlo. Though they started out equipped as base specified strippers they were easily optioned up to plush levels. The availability and variety of so many options meant that they were quite individualized. These are pretty big cars, just about ten inches shorter than a Lincoln Mark V.

Of these five cars the Mustang speaks to me the most. I'm a Mustang fan and the fact these are the least popular of the classic Ponies appeals to my contrarian nature. Besides there are some real improvements in this model compared to earlier cars. I've been thinking about how I can improve these cars. And as with all Mustangs, parts supply is very good. These are still straightforward and easy to work on. I've got a deep well of customizing ideas for this car.

This one really tempts me. But I've got to sell something to make some room!

The time is not right to try to sell or to go look at cars, yet. Maybe in a few weeks.


Five is enough for this week I'll save the others for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment