Saturday, December 23, 2017

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays, (Which ever ones you choose!)


Forget those old hay eaters, Old Nick wants a new bunch of horses!



Christmas art from Plan59.
An idealized American scene, but it doesn't look my old neighborhood.

Christmas is here and with it many memories from the past. My own experience never did match all those commercialized images that were depicted in so many different movies, advertisements and old television shows. But none of that really matters. My own childhood was plenty good enough. My parents gave me a secure family life. When it was my turn to be the parent I followed my folks example and did the same for my kids. We did decide to be a bit more elaborate during the Holidays than my family was during my Childhood. Our Christmas celebrations were like everything else in our life, you experience it on your own level. Enjoy what you have and enjoy the process.

I guess that I am entering that crabby old Grinch stage, but I'm sure that it will pass.

This advertisement for the 1956 Cadillac is one of my favorites. I clipped a copy out of a National Geographic magazine when I was a freshman in high school. I discovered that this magazine had the quality advertisements and they were just the right size. I accumulated quite a collection of early Cadillac ads and I held onto them until just recently. I might still have them stashed somewhere. I even had my own 1956 Sedan de Ville just like the one in the picture. However I wasn't wearing a dinner jacket when I showed my Wife the keys!


These still look pretty good to me.


Growing up in the Bay Area I never had to deal with driving in snow. My childhood family activities did not involve  driving up to Lake Tahoe, or other ski locations. We just stayed down on the flatlands. There are plenty of places to drive in California that don't involve tire chains, snow tires and four wheel drive. Still, it does look pretty.


photo source; pinterest


Like most people there are a lot of family things going on during the Holidays and the car stuff will have to take a backseat. Life goes on and we should enjoy the moment. To paraphrase Peter Egan, "There are only so many Holiday Seasons left." Next year will be different.


also from plan59

Sometimes you just don't want the Holidays to end! Happy Holidays to all!




2 comments:

  1. Excellent blog. What I have enjoyed most is musings about life experiences, insights garnered from working with cars that are applicable to daily life. I look forward to more insightful recollections and musings. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete