Saturday, February 24, 2018

Just some updates.


photo source: dreamstime.com


I was successful in removing the pistons from the right front wheel cylinders of my Mark VII. I need to replace some parts that were damaged: I need the internal cylinder spring for one cylinder, the crossover pipe fitting refused to loosen and the pipe was twisted and broken when removing the fitting from the cylinder body. I would also like to replace the brake shoe return springs.

My plan is to clean, rebuild and remount the cylinders, reassemble the brake shoes but not connect the brake hoses. Then I will move back to the rear brakes to repeat the process. If I could get the hand brake to work, I could use it while moving the car, if it was running. Of course I need to remove and rebuild the master cylinder and blow out all the metal brake lines.

The brakes are not the only hydraulic system that needs to be tended to. There is a hydraulic system for the clutch mechanism.

The oil filter canister top cover gasket didn't fit properly and needs a better design. I have to repair the end fitting to the add on oil filter canister and secure the mounting.

The carbs need to be cleaned, the broken bushing housing replaced and the assembly mounted to the head.

I also have to devise a gravity fuel feed directly to the carbs.

The vacuum advance assembly on the distributor needs to be replaced.  I saw one for sale on Amazon that were priced around 89.00.


photo source: Amaxon
Take your pick, one of these is bound to fit.


My '96 Mustang still needs that leak fixed, I really have to get moving and order that manifold. Where else  could it be leaking from? Since I won't be driving this car anywhere until its repaired, while shuttling my fleet around I decided to put into the side yard.


My F150 needed the front brakes rebuilt. The rotor is an assembly combined with the hub. More expensive than replacing a separate rotor. The front end alignment also needs to be taken care of. Almost five hundred bucks put things to right. It is nice to have the truck drive as smoothly as it did when it was newer. It's also going to need tires quite soon. Those Hankooks are pricey but they are integral in maintaining the level of handling that I enjoy.

The Explorer needed both the registration to be renewed along with a Star station smog inspection. I had the oil changed then was directed to a Star station by my mechanic at First Street Shell. I found that the shop was tun by a young man who was very familiar with older cars. The Explorer passed with flying colors. Then was I off to Triple A to pay the 130.00 registration fee. No late fees this time!

My Daughter  had told me that her car, the '07 Mustang was driving kind of funny. I couldn't notice anything,  but the tires were getting pretty thin and I know that it's going to rain again someday. I don't like being rushed when buying a new set of tires, it's a big purchase and if you buy something you end up not liking, you will have to live with it a long time.

I decided to do a little shopping around. Wheelworks, Costco, and even Pep Boys. The Bridgestones had done a good job and carried a 70,000 mile warranty but now that causes some problems. Tire shops including Wheelworks, won't warranty road hazard, or repair a flat tire that is six years old. So where is the value of buying a long life tire that you won't wear out in less than six years? Costco only carries a couple of choices for the Mustang, and they are both quite expensive. I decided to buy the same Faulkens that I have on my '96 Mustang. Four tires and an alignment ( it was off a bit) ran me over six hundred bucks. No wonder I can't get ahead!

The registration on my XJ6 expired a couple of months ago. It also needed a smog check to complete the process. I misplaced the renewal notice and when I checked the actual registration document I found that it had expired a week earlier. I went to Triple A and paid the registration, plus fees. I only had pay an extra thirty bucks! I've done much worse. At least I now have the fees on file and it gives me some time. The CEL has been on for a long time but the car runs really well, still that will have to be dealt with before it's gets the smog check.

The front suspension really needs to be rebuilt, I mean REALLY needs to be rebuilt. The steering is sloppy and it pulls to the left constantly and set up  quite a oscillation.  I've even toyed with the idea  of buying the actual Jaguar spring compressor. I started building the homemade job like I've seen on the forums. I have several additional compressors that I can use in conjunction with the DIY tool to ensure a level of safety. This is more in keeping with my driveway mechanic ethos, except that I don't want to do the job in my driveway.

It doesn't look like my garage will be available anytime soon, so I'm considering dealing with the smog check first. The car drives well enough to take it to smog check station.

The shed is in, and my Wife has started the process of clearing out the garage.

My goal is to be able to park two cars in the garage, while still housing all my necessary tools and equipment like the tool chests, jacks and air compressor. I would like to be able to keep my workbench and some of my steel industrial storage racks but nothing is written in stone. I graciously decided to set aside some space along the wall for my Daughter's small business stuff.

The XJS needs the same front suspension rebuild that the XJ6 does. Still, it is running and driving. After I took the XJS out to start it up and drive it around the neighborhood a bit, I realized that the steering is not as bad as the XJ6. So why not drive it to work for awhile? It is smogged, registered, insured and runs pretty good. So I did. The first week I began to acclimate myself to the car. The seating position is comfortable, the wheel feels great in my hands, and I love looking at it's reflection in the store windows as I pass.



I bought this mint copy at a swap meet years ago.

I must say that it is a very good looking car. The proportions are very good and it does not suffer from the overly tall roof of the E type coupes. This is a very Italian influenced design. I have a copy of March 1962 issue of Car and Driver where a thorough examination of the Italian auto industry is presented. I can see a similarity between the styling of the XJS and early 1960s Ferrari GTs among others. The Jensen Interceptor tapped into a similar stylistic vein since it was designed and built by Touring. I have read that in the final year of production, the E type was a very slow seller and a hundred cars were stored at an airfield near Coventry. It is kind of funny that Jaguar looked back to the late 50's and early 60's for design inspiration. The E type's styling was a product of then 1950's, it was that of a stretched D Type, only with a much longer hood. Fashions do change and as it reached it's third series, the E Type was seen as old fashioned and out of step.



Italy has contributed so many classic designs to our automotive heritage.

At least all my cars except the Mark are driveable and I can move them around. (Fingers crossed!)

Who says that you can't run whitewalls on a Jag?
From the back cover. 

Am I buried alive or just slogging through ankle deep mud?

No comments:

Post a Comment