Saturday, June 23, 2018

It's always something. Isn't it?


photo source: carnivalsatheart.com
Life with old cars keeps you on your toes!


Having a lot of old cars means having the potential for multiple problems to occur with multiple applications of bad timing. Keeping on top of this is a lot like playing "wack a mole."


Or, you can say that you are always putting out fires. Whatever trite expression you choose.

Either way it keeps you busy.

My Daughter's car, the '07 Mustang was treated to a set of new tires last year before the Winter rains set in.

It received a new set of Falkens just like the ones that are on my '96 Mustang, along with a wheel alignment.

Now if any of you have adult children living at home, you know that they are constantly in and out. Always going and doing something. So I don't often get a chance to drive their car and learn if there are any problems. Now it's even worse if it is my Daughter's car because she doesn't often notice the problem or communicate it to me clearly. To be honest sometimes I don't listen very closely either!

I was using her car to make  quick run to the store.

I noticed that the steering wheel did not line up. The wheel was not straight up when going straight. It was about five minutes off. She said that she noticed it a while back, but didn't think that it was very important. The car was pulling a bit to side. The front end alignment has a one year warranty so I asked her to make an appointment to take it in and have them take a look at it. Of course that didn't get done. A couple of weeks later she told me that the car was making squeaking sounds when she came to a stop. I pretty much dismissed that observation. Finally she told me that it getting harder to steer and wanted to dart to the side, especially over rough pavement. I decide that I better take a look at the car and discovered this.


Wow, those tires were only five months old.


The left front tire has most of the center tread worn off. The right side had only then inside edge worn down. Wow, this thing must be way out of alignment or have some other problem, maybe a bad wheel bearing.

I raised the car to check the bearings and ball joints. They appeared to be okay.

I took a look underneath to see if I could see anything that was noticeably wrong.


The rusry spot is the amount that the nut had backed off.


The tie rod lock nut had backed off a half inch, I'll bet that the toe in must be way out of specifications!

Luckily the tire store stood behind their alignment warranty, (it was their fault!). They replaced both tires and did another alignment without charging me a cent. Perhaps the damage could have been avoided if it had been caught sooner. My Daughter and I both learned a lesson from this incident. She learned that a lot of things about the car are more important than she thinks, and I learned that I should listen a little more closely.

Now to get that air bag recall appointment scheduled!


My attempt to exorcise the ghost in the Explorer hasn't been very successful. The darn thing still keeps unlocking itself.

I've been trying different locking strategies to see if a different protocol might produce the desired results.

I tried using the key fob. I locked it manually from the driver's door. I locked it using the power switch on the passenger side.

The car taunted me, sometimes it would work properly for days. Then suddenly the gremlins would be back.

This Explorer is a fancy model, even equipped with the famous Ford door lock keypad.

A recent post on Curbside Classics concerning user's experiences with the digital entry system got me to thinking...



This method is kind of redundant now.

I did an online search and found out that the code was printed on a label attached to the module. The module was located under the left side cargo area side panel. It is visible from the jack access panel opening. I did see it, but it was too far up to get a clear glimpse of the code. Even using a dentist's mirror. I ended up loosening up the panel and pulling it out far enough out to get that mirror in to read the sticker.

I spent awhile familiarizing myself with it's operation and re-coding procedures.

This system had obviously been superceded by the rise of the keyless entry keyfob.

Unfortunately it didn't make any improvement. There are a lot of wires that run into that module plug. Disconnecting it could lead to other problems. I might have to disconnect the power to each individual locking motor. That's more work than I want to consider right now, so I disconnect the battery if the Explorer will sit for a day or two.


I've been able to drive the XJS to work occasionally. It's good to keep all the fluids hot and flowing and the parts all moving.

I park in a big flat employee parking lot. Yes, I know that there is always the chance that "something" might happen. It has, actually fairly often. My truck has been "lightly swide swiped" several times. Luckily almost all the damage has been able to be "rubbed out."


Like many workplaces in California there have been solar panel installations that make a suitable substitution for covered parking. I will usually park anything but my truck under there. It keeps the car out of the sun. I have observed that several of my coworkers have quite a bit of trouble parking their little cars in those stalls.


Come on, How hard could it be to park in this stall?
That car bears the signs of numerous skirmishes.

Whenever I park there, I usually check my car for damage before leaving. A quick glance didn't reveal anything, so I was getting inside when I noticed that a note had been passed through the slightly open window.

At first I thought, wow! someone wants to buy my car, I wonder how much they are offering?

They weren't offering anything, they just informed me that they had bumped into my car while parking next to me.

Obviously, I hadn't noticed anything that stood out on first look, before getting in, so I wasn't too concerned.

Luckily the XJS has those rubber cushioned bumper side extensions that run along the quarter panels. The rubber strip was scuffed, with only a small amount of deformation. Hardly noticeable.


The scuffing is the light colored area.
There was no damage to the metal bumper extension ot quarter panel.

This brings up a serious issue. As low buck car guys we are really into our cars. Even if they are not new and usually not in perfect shape. Still, we want to preserve and restore and improve their condition. Especially preserve. Regular folks might not understand why we care so much about them. Why get so worked up over an old car? This especially becomes a problem if we elevate one of our beaters into "diva" status.

I've got no use for, or respect for, folks that beat and neglect their cars. Or those that are thoughtless around other folk's cars.

It is a real dilemma.

We want to enjoy our cars. We want to use our cars. We need to use our cars.

The problem is that our cars are often high in emotional attachment and value, but relatively low in monetary value. If we have a well preserved example we want to keep it that way.

I don't carry conventional full coverage coverage insurance on my old cars because almost any mishap would result in the car being "totalled."

There was a informative volume that I read entitled "The Car Keepers Guide." The entire thrust of this book is that it is cheaper to hold onto, and properly maintain a car over a long period of ownership. The advice was to buy a good car, and keep it. A good car, well kept, can be a source of satisfaction and pride.

It recommended that in considering long term ownership, it is very important to maintain the cosmetic condition of your car. There can be no satisfaction in driving a piece of junk. Their advice was to attend to major body damage immediately. Minor dents, dings, scratches and usual parking lot damage should be addressed after there has been several "events." The paint less dent removal guy can take care of several minor dents in one visit, The body shop can touch up several scuffed areas, and the seats can be repaired also.  These repairs can be completed every three years or so. This is the most economical course. This way your car is generally well maintained, but it is not perfect, and will show some signs of daily use. But you never let your car deteriorate into a heap.

This can require a little readjustment on the owners side. The car will never be perfect, but the owner knows that they will take care of a raft of minor issues on a preset schedule. You've got to take a breath, slow down, and keep everything in perspective. Dents and dings are going to happen. Though it is very irritating when they occur because of another person's thoughtlessness. It does call for a degree of automotive Stoicism.

If you want a show car, that's fine. I can understand that feeling. But then you will end up severely restricting the occasions that you will drive the car. Sometimes that is appropriate, a highly valued, restored or reconditioned vehicle is a major investment. Not only in money, but in time and emotional engagement. It makes a lot of sense to protect the value of your investment. However I made strange observation several years ago.

Many popular, restored vintage cars are still priced well below what is the average new car price.
Older Mustangs are often priced in the mid 20's to mid 30's. (Thousands of dollars). Many times the owners of these cars never drive them in traffic for daily or even occasional use. They just dote on them and display them at shows. That's where the phrase "garage queen" comes from. They are just pampered. The owner will tell you that he wants to protect his investment.

His daily driver may be a forty to fifty K (maybe even lots more)  fancy pick up, SUV or Mercedes or Lexus. And he drives that thing everywhere! The heavy commute, and workplace parking lot. Squeezing into tight parking spots at the mall etc. Drive through fast food dinners, whatever. Why not? It' a car and it's fully insured, right?

Worrying about your hobby car and freaking out about things when they do happen, just adds a lot of unneeded stress. It also takes the all fun out of driving your special car, and makes you a righteous pain to your spouse, family and friends.

The wailing, and the gnashing of the teeth, makes for a very poor ownership experience!

I was upset to learn that my car had been hit in the parking lot. And I had the perfect right to be a bit angry. But the responsible party admitted fault and left their contact information. I spoke to them and they want to make it right. Most importantly though, is that there is very minimal damage. It can be regarded as "normal wear and tear." It could have been a lot worse, but it wasn't.

Ar least this time!






No comments:

Post a Comment