Saturday, May 11, 2019

How to improve the lighting on my 1996 SN95 Mustang.




I'll bet you can see pretty good with these!


Without it looking bogus!

The SN95 Mustang's headlights are not all that bad, until you compare them to a more modern car. Like a 2007 Mustang or my 2007 F 150. Then they end up a bit lacking.


Especially if they are yellowed and hazy and poorly aimed.

I bought my car with smoked headlamp assemblies and blue colored bulbs.

They looked kind of sinister, but boy did they reduce the candlepower output!

The first time I drove them in the dark was returning home from my Brother's house, a fifty mile trip. I couldn't believe how hard it was to see. I used the high beams as much as possible and even lit the fog lamps. It was a pretty scary and nerve wracking trip.

One option is to replace the standard headlamp bulb with a higher output bulb. The higher the output the shorter the bulb's life. It states that on the package.

This is the easiest option and if you use DOT approved bulbs you shouldn't have any problems.




These PIAA replacement bulbs look like they would do the job.

Of course it would be a good idea to be sure the lens are clear and the lights are properly aimed.




The real thing , not the movie version.


Last year I read Brock Yates' book about the Cannonball Sea to Shining Sea open road race.  Running across the open highways and back roads of America at night, far from a well lit freeway. Extra lights were called for, especially at the high speeds the participants were travelling at.


Here are some of the original participants
waiting for the starting time.

I have made many night time runs down my favorite California highway, US101 between the Bay Area and Los Angeles.  This route is comprised of several types of highways. Full limited access Freeway, uncontrolled access country highway, and some very curvy elevation change roadways. Most of it is unlighted and you depend entirely on your car's head lamps.

There is supposed to be some wildlife that presents a hazard and there is that famous sign warning of a bear crossing. I'm skeptical about that, I think that the highway dept put that sign there to wake up sleepy drivers before they reached the twistiest coastal sections. I know that it caught my attention the first time I saw that!


Better pay attention!

I've made the night trip in my 2007 Mustang  but most were in my  in my 07 F150. Both of these vehicles have pretty good lights. The Mustang even came equipped with grille mounted driving lamps. The lights on both of these vehicles are adequate for most any conditions.

However if the stock lamps don't cut the mustard there are some other alternatives.


Besides the stock headlamps, California law allows a few other options. Fog lights, Auxiliary driving lights and passing lamps.

Each type of additional lamp has legal requirements for mounting aiming and limitations for it's use.

Fog lamps are common equipment on many modern cars, They are mounted low in the bumper. My Mustang came equipped with these lights. Most aftermarket lamps have yellow or amber lens.


CVC. section 24402(a) regulates these additional lamps.



Yates's own  Challenger sported a set of auxiliary lights.
I would bet that they were driving lamps.

Two auxiliary driving lamps can be mounted to the front end. They must be mounted no lower than 16 in. or higher than 42 in. They are to supplement the high beams and are not to be lit with the low beams.

OEM driving lights are usually mounted in the grill, accessory lamps are usually mounted to the top surface of the bumper. Driving lamps usually have clear or fluted lens.


I've always thought that traditional lamps like this
 added a Continental touch.


Passing lamps are usually seen on old fashioned, Harley Davidson Electra Glide motorcycles, as they are mounted on both sides of the headlamp.



On my Electra Glide the passing lamps
were activated by a toggle switch on the headlamp housing!

The statute states that two passing lamps may be mounted to the front. They are not to be mounted less than 24 in. nor higher than 42 in. Passing lamps supplement the lower beam and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

Back in the day of chrome steel bumpers it was quite common to drill holes or use clamps to mount these lights. Cars have been equipped with plastic skinned bumpers for years, how can you mount additional lamps? Especially without looking bogus.

I think I'll start out with the high output bulbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment