Friday, April 12, 2024

Dream Motorcycle Builds. Part One. Exploring my board tracker fantasy.    



This Cyclone provides the template.


All serious car and motorcycle guys have them. They are the stuff of our imaginations. They are what we occupy our idle time musing about. Most will probably never get built, though some may.

Although I currently have six cars, I'm always looking out for something that will scratch that building itch.

While I have a couple of car builds in mind, this motorcycle just keeps popping up in my head.

One of my current mental exercises is building a board track inspired custom.

My motorcycling days have recently been on my mind since my Wife presented me with a box of photos from the 1970's through the 1990's. I found pictures of my Honda 750, my chopped Sportster and my much modified XLCR. There were also photos that documented several of the long tours that I took during this period. Looking at the "twenty something" year old me, I recalled just how much I loved riding.

What also has fired up my imagination was going to the Harley Davidson dealer to check out the latest models in person. I hadn't been there for several years. I thought that I should reacquaint myself with the line up. 

Okay, back to the topic at hand.

The Cyclone pictured above is the real thing. To me, this is the embodiment of the essence of the motorcycling spirit. Elemental. Purposeful and elegant. Beautiful, but definitely not practical as everyday transportation.

Of course this image just supplies the energy, the mojo, the essence, of what I would want to build.

There are certain  design elements that are apparent. The design is purely functional in appearance. There's nothing that does not contribute to moving that machine down a race track. In the interests of simplicity, even the brakes and transmission were omitted!

The wheels are large, narrow, and appear to be identically sized. The bike sits level with the engine nestled close to the ground. The tank is long and low and completely covers the frame top tube. The rider's seat is small. The frame is a rigid hardtail. The front forks are also rigid, and the front wheel is located close to the frame down tube and bottom fork triple clamp. This gives the bike a close coupled appearance.

This is a minimalist machine.

Could something be built with commonly available components that would echo this style?

In the past a builder would start out with the bike of their choice, then start the build by stripping the machine down to it's basic core structure. They would then start to modify that into the direction that they wished. Sometimes this involved cutting and modifying the frame, or removing, modifying, or altering the front and rear suspension members. A lot of this was driven by the builder's basic choice for the final  usage of their machine. What you built depends on how you are planning to use the bike.

There are purely utilitarian choices: adding a luggage rack, or saddle bags in order to carry more stuff. Windshields, valenced fenders, bigger tanks, more comfortable seats, back rests, added to make the bike more suitable for long distance travel.

Motorcycles that are modified for style have a lot more freedom in their design. Utility and even functionality are often compromised in order to achieve a certain look.

In the past, the builder would get his inspiration from his local group of riders, from attending shows, and rallies.

Luckily today we have the luxury of viewing hundreds of different bikes, and the ready made accessories that are available for them by perusing the Net. There are plenty of how to videos demonstrating just how certain modifications are performed.

Currently I don't even have a motorcycle. But I've owned a fair number of them and I have modified most of them to some degree or another.

I'm going to present examples of various bikes that will demonstrate ideas and I'll discuss how I might use them.

I'll also go out in the field and examine how the current crop of bikes might become my blank canvas. I've been away from the bike scene for a decade or more and currently lack the familiarity with the current market. Of course my choices have to be cost effective.

The board track racing bike exerts a strong emotional appeal on me. It is spare. It is powerful. It is the pure function of the motorcycle. The History Channel presentation of Harley and the Davidsons, recreated this exciting period in motoring history. They actually recreated the motorcycles from scratch, using period blueprints.




Scene from the History Channel's Harley and the Davidsons.
One of the Davidson Brothers rides their new bike in a demonstration.



Racing on the board track. A very dangerous sport.
Photo from the TV special.


Here is an actual vintage racer.
Note the low slung engine and lack of a front brake.
A Springer front end replaced the rigid type.


An antique bike ridden in a modern demonstration.
At least the rider gets to wear a real helmet.



Another vintage HD.


I especially like the gas tank that fits closely around the engine.




Here's another look at that Cyclone.


The strongest styling elements are the large equally sized wheels, the low slung big V twin motor, and the very slim silhouette. Some of these elements were adapted to the modern chopper.

Will it be possible to add the necessary street equipment needed for legality and preserve the mojo?

Even trying to minimize the inclusion of necessary equipment to make the bike street legal is a challenge. A small headlamp, tail lamp, and a mirror, wouldn't clutter up the lines too much. But what good is a motorcycle if you can't ride it on the street and highway? 


The Classic early Sportster highlights the wheels
 and concentrates it's mass between them.


Just as a teaser here's a picture of Ol' Bronson's Sportster. This might be a good foundation to build on. More discussion will follow with my next installment. 






No comments:

Post a Comment