Sunday, August 18, 2019

Road Adventures?

Sounds like good idea to me.


This an informal group that meets up to take scenic group drives.

Some are one day loops others are three day overnight trips. They even have an annual 10-12 day  long group tour.

They lay out the route, and make a few planned stops for activities,

There is no charge to go on a Day Drive.

There are not any restrictions placed on the type of vehicle that can used. They even recommend flying in and using a rental car to make the run.

What a refreshing change from the sometimes snobby marque clubs that are restricted to only certain models.

Sure it makes sense that a Mustang or Miata club would like to make a run with fellow members but the idea that anyone is welcome is such a breath of fresh air.

While there is no restriction on age, I would imagine that most of the participants would be younger people

They don't place any difficult requirements on the participants, except the vehicles used should be road ready and reliable.

While they don't come out and say it, I'm sure that they would expect everyone involved to act like an adult and follow the rules of the road.

Day Drives are 100 to 250 miles long. The meet up place and basic itinerary are posted on line. Contact the event coordinator and sign up. It doesn't seem that there is any limit placed on most drives, but I imagine that if the group finds a lot of popularity attendance might need to be limited.

Road Tours consist of three day mini tours. There's more commitment involved here. Hotel reservations have to be made in advance.

Biannual Epic Tours are 8-12 days long. Your going to have to plan this around your annual vacation. It may take a day or two's drive to reach the starting point.

Drive requirements are simple, They recommend having a two way radio and a well maintained vehicle.

This sounds like a lot of fun to me. Finding like minded, car people that are primarily interested in touring can be difficult.

I recounted my experiences on a couple of motorcycle rally tours that I participated back in my youth.  It was great way to see some new territory, get in some serious riding time, and socialize with like minded people.

They also offer off road adventures that look like a great way to initiate yourself into the off highway sport. I would imagine that there are lot's of folks that would like to try this, but are unsure how to start and hesitant to go out there alone.

I would like to try out a Day Trip sometime and report back on my experience. Just another thing to add to my agenda.

Check out their site


                                ----------------------------------------------------------------------


Date shakes and a Dole Whip. Yummmm.
The reward at the end of the road.

I just completed a 1000 mile road trip to Southern California. I had reported last week that I was preparing my Explorer for the trip. The addition of new front shock absorbers made quite the difference in ride and handling.

I bought my Explorer used and with a lot of miles, but it came with a thick folder of repair and maintenance invoices. I will admit that this is the first used vehicle that I've ever bought that came with any repair history. Since there were over 250,000 miles (no typo!) showing on the odometer I was looking for a little reassurance before putting down my money!

I've had the truck for a couple of years now and I've driven it enough to have confidence in it's basic mechanical integrity. 

It's never a good idea to leave on a long trip with a vehicle that is not in good running shape. Problems are not going to work themselves out on their own. Overheating, leaking radiators, screeching brakes, worn out suspensions, and "iffy" transmissions can be limped through on short local runs. Sometimes you don't have any choice, and just have to make it until the next payday. Just don't try to plan your vacation trip around an ailing vehicle. Serious breakdowns are not the kind of adventure that you need.

Especially if you are travelling the "path less traveled."

My destination was Indio California. Starting out I took the fastest and most common route, I-5. As I approached the Grapevine, the navigation system suggested a different route than my usual trek through the greater L.A. metropolitan environs to avoid traffic congestion. It suggested cutting east south of Gorman, taking the high desert route through Antelope Valley, Lancaster, Palmdale, then through Pearlblossom and Littlerock via the Pearlblossom Highway. I would then drop down into San Bernadino and Riverside then continue east of I-10  past Palm Springs, Cabazon, then onto Indio.

Several years ago I had taken the northern part of this route when returning from Arizona via Route 66. I was looking forward to seeing a part of Southern California that I was not familiar with.

First of all, it is quite true that most of So Cal is a desert! It was amazing to me how empty and unsettled the land could be only a hour or two away from Los Angeles itself. Commuters have pushed out to Lancaster and Palmdale which have become typical suburbs, but smaller towns like Antelope Valley, Pearlblossom and Little Rock are genuine small desert towns. If you want to get away from the crowd here's your chance!


Mormon Rocks, an amazing view you can see on the back road to Palm Springs.

The route has scenery which is usually flat and dull, but looking out into that great desert valley is quite amazing. Then you encounter an area like Mormon Rocks and you can imagine how the early settlers were awed by the incredible rock formations.

Before the release of "Jurassic Park"
this was as good as it could get.

It was dark as we passed Palm Springs. If you are in the area stop to visit the Cabazon dinosaurs. They are located right off the freeway. Roadside development has made them harder to spot as you drive by on I-10. Take the exit, they are worth the visit!

We arrived in Indio at 9:00 pm. and it was still 100 degrees. Welcome to the desert!

The next day my Son wanted us to visit the nearby Salton Sea. He had toured the area a couple of years ago on his motorcycle. We passed some impressive date orchards outside of Indio. These are huge orchards of Palm Trees which are the source of the dates. We traveled on highway 111 on the east side of the lake. First stop was the visitors center where we viewed the exhibits and watched a video that explained the formation of the Salton Sea. The quick explanation was that in 1905 a levee on the irrigation system of the Colorado river broke and remained broken for two years. The river flowed into the Salton Sink and engulfed the smaller run off lake with a small ocean of water.

The fortunes of the lake have risen but generally fallen over the years. After being known as the "California Riviera" during the 1950s the area was beset by environmental calamities that destroyed the tourist trade. It is now mostly abandoned with only a few small communities of diehard residents.


photo sorce: atlasobscura.com
The Salton Sea provides a dramatic, surreal,  landscape. 

Bombay Beach was once thriving tourist resort, it's now quite uninhabited. There is a thriving artist community that frequents the town. Think of it as a mini "Burning Man" experience.


Lot's of grafitti.


internet photo

The temperature was 107 degrees but as the cliche goes, it's a dry heat. Next stop was Niland.


Salvation Mountain was one man's dream.

Located a short ways out of this well kept little town is one of So Cal's most distinctive
and curious folk art locations. Salvation Mountain was the brainchild of Leonard Knight. He began work on his monument in 1984. He met with initial failure but improved his method of construction with his second monument. Leonard has passed away but his monument continues to impress visitors of his religious fervor.

I was honestly very impressed by the Salton Sea and the communities that surround it. It was well worth the visit and I would like to return sometime to take advantage of the star gazing opportunities that it's isolation provides.

This trip provided me with an experience of a part of Southern California that I wasn't at all familiar with.

Oh, and that date shake was one of the most delicious frozen confections that I've ever enjoyed. Cross that off my bucket list. Leppart's is right off the freeway in Palm Desert, next to the Stater Brother's market.


No comments:

Post a Comment