Saturday, October 26, 2019

Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!


photo source: Kimberly T. Palmer.com
Why is everyone so judgmental?


It's no surprise to anyone that has read this blog for any time that I'm always trying to do things on the cheap side. That's the basic premise of this site. Usually, I don't feel any shame for my tightwad tendencies. I guess that I'm lucky that I don't have a group of close friends around that can pass judgement on my efforts. All my efforts take place in a kind of social vacuum which works out well for me.

Not having a bunch of readily available disposable income to dump into my cars keeps me from becoming financially upside down with them. However, it has caused me to have to be physically upside down under them quite a bit!


I ordered the cooling temperature sensor (CTS) for the XJS from Rock Auto a week ago. I wasn't in any hurry so I didn't spring for the expedited shipping like I did for the throttle microswitch that I ordered from SNG Barrat. (And still haven't installed! What was the rush on getting that?) I had seen another online vendor with the CTS at a similar price, but they had shipping posted at over 12.00! This time Rock Auto had the best deal, though I had even considering ordering it at my local auto parts store.

The internet forums can be an invaluable resource that can save the enthusiast hundreds, even thousands, of dollars. Using that free checklist, Grant's List, I was able to work my way through a systematic diagnosis and repair. Various members of the forum, including Grant himself, contributed helpful suggestions. It wasn't as though taking the car to an actual mechanic was considered as an alternative, at least at this time. The work that I've done with the sparkplugs and the ignition problem has given me a better understanding of how the different systems on my motor work and helped me to identify what the actual components look like, how they function, and where they are located. Knowledge really is power. Not only that, but this process has helped me to build a bond with the car, something that is very important to me, and that I haven't yet been able to do. Also, thoughts of selling the car are gone, at least for now. Now, when I look under the hood I can see an actual automobile engine, instead of a nuclear reactor.

You can't put a price on that.

Realistically, I'm not sure where I would even take the thing. It's not like I would just have it flat bedded out to the local Jaguar dealer. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't even want to work on it. A lot of dealers have a policy of not working on any cars that are over twenty years old.

When you own a car of this type your goal should be to become an expert on the car. Why else would you bother with it?

Now that the car is running again I will be able to report how effective my limited suspension repair has been. I'm not expecting any miracles but I am anticipating some degree of noticeable improvement.


That's all I'm hoping for. Enough improvement to allow me to actually drive the car again and warrant further work and investment.


                                 -------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet Mr. Good(Enough) Wrench!

Another entry into my "Nothing to Proud of here!" series.

Looks kind of cheesy, but it worked for quite a while.

This photo shows how my previous repair was accomplished. The first time the bracket weld broke I had it redone at a local muffler shop. That repair lasted several years, but the second break left too big a hole to bridge with weld build up. I decide to use some coat hanger wire to wrap around the round hanger bracket and then secure the wire to the exhaust pipe with a hose clamp.

I try to keep a few of these on hand.

Wire coat hanger repairs were once a staple of driveway mechanics for years. These type of hangers are not as common as they once were. The strength of the wire left something to be desired, but at least the hangers were plentiful and free.


A good bench vise is invaluable.

I thought that I would be "trick" and use a double wrap of wire for the main portion of the new splice.



You've got to work carefully.

Like I said, the strength of the wire does leave something to be desired. I started off again with a little less enthusiasm.



Easy does it.

I wound the wire around a large bolt to make it conform to the round hanger. I'm always trying to improve my fabrication skills.

A small hose clamp secured the wire to the hanger while a large clamp held it to the exhaust pipe.

It may be time for a new set of tail pipes.


Believe it or not, the previous repair held for several years.

It really doesn't look too bad.

The repair is not too visible from the side.  I know that I'm going to have to fork out some money in the future to replace these tail pipes. My cheapie repair will hold that day off a little bit longer. Mission accomplished!

If this segment isn't embarrassing enough, I've got another little skinflint gem to share.


Time to retire this basket.

What can you do with a broken down old laundry basket? Patch it with duct tape? Been there done that!

Why not transform it into something that you can use out in the garage. While the sides are tattered and broken the bottom is still intact.Just cut off the sides flush with the bottom.


This tray has been featured in an earlier post.

Now you're left with a handy little half inch deep tray. Add a little kitty litter and you can use it as a drip try under one of your oil leaking beaters, or a parts cleaning tray, or whatever. And best off all the price was right!

Now, what else can I do that won't cost me much money? My hobby car credit card balance is getting out of hand!



No comments:

Post a Comment