Saturday, November 9, 2019

I have been thinking a lot about my Mark VII lately.


This is how many Marks have met their demise.
Partially disassembled and forgotten.

It's a good idea to keep the disassembled bits in the trunk.


I need to remove the old tires from the wheels. then discard them.
Then the wheels will find a home inside the car.

I have done some research looking into aftermarket universal master cylinders from Wilwood. My thinking is that if I could just replace the master then I could use the existing brake wheel cylinders and clutch slave cylinder. I need to get this thing stopping and moving under it's own power.

These replacement masters are not really that expensive, they are just around sixty bucks a piece. I'd need to cobble up some fittings but that shouldn't be too much of a trouble or expense.

As I detailed in previous posts, my Wife has been very helpful in assisting me to push my dead XJS back and forth into the garage. She always says that she thinks that the XJS is beautiful. Gradually the subject of my having too many cars comes up. She thinks that I should thin the herd a bit---- for my own sanity and peace of mind, of course. Of course Dear!

She will reference the Mark VII and will say, "Even if it was up and running, you wouldn't actually drive that thing to work, would you?

Actually I would. Joyously!

But of course it would have to be running first.


Where are those carbs?


Still sitting in a box, now in the trunk.

I removed the carbs because the throttle of the front carb appeared to be seized. It turned out that it was the throttle shaft that was seized. Gummed up might be a more accurate description. I also found a broken part on the carb. Luckily, I found that S.U. carbs are still well supported and ordered the part and a rebuild kit.

I haven't done anything with the carbs since, as I became involved with the braking and clutch system. While this is important, of course, these are not really needed to get the motor started and running.

However, looking at the situation through my low buck filter, inspired by last week's post, I came to the obvious conclusion.

Since I already bought the rebuild kit for the carbs, why not just work on them?

If I can get the engine to run, then I'll really be jazzed to do something about the brakes.

Time to start another written outline.

1) I know that the engine is free to turn over. I've already done that with the starter motor.

2) I have a good battery that I can use for this purpose.

I keep this thing charged up with a trickle charger.


3) I've already changed the oil and filter

4) I've removed the plugs, checked them, and introduced some Marvel Mystery fluid into the combustion chambers



I also added some to the spark plug threads

5) I'll need to check and clean the points. Then verify the spark. Maybe Tomorrow.

6) The radiator is dry, What's up with that? I'll just add some water and see it leaks out.

7) I'll have to rig up a gravity feed, fuel  tank under the hood to feed the carbs. I'm not even going to try and mess with the existing twin tank/ pump system. I just need a little fuel supply to run the engine for several minutes.


Okay, so my course is clear. Now, let's take a look at those carbs!


No comments:

Post a Comment