Friday, April 3, 2020

I just finished re-reading the novel Hot Rod.



A book that I really connected with in my youth.



I first read this novel as a paperback, back in 1962 or '63 when I was in the third or fourth grade. I was always an "advanced" reader as a youngster. The book was in the classroom lending library of the sixth grade class that I had my reading class in.

Why did I reread this book?

Was I trying to reconnect with some fondly remembered notions from my past?

Actually I was.

One of the best things about Felsen's books is that he "gets it". He knows and appreciates how much a car can mean to a kid. How it becomes an avenue of self expression. I've never developed that deep a connection with a car, but I certainly did with my motorcycles..

What could I hope to gain from this? Am I trying to recapture something from my past?

Unfortunately I missed the hot rod era.

There are no hot rods in my past, In fact, I never saw a real hot rod on the street until I well into my 30's.



I find myself in a funny place.

My passion and interest in cars has never faded over the years. However I'm beginning to feel that my resources to deal with that passion have started to reach their limitations.

The current situation has made me refocus on just what my priorities should be.

Couldn't I find something easier and cheaper to work on?

I've been doing a lot of soul searching (as well as cyber searching on Craig's List) looking for cars that can grab my interest. Something that could satisfy that enthusiast craving that I have.

True "Classic" hot rods as described by Felsen in his books have never really figured into the picture. Though I read many books by Tex Smith and others. They had passed out of favor as I entered my teen years. That was at the end of the 1960's. Muscle cars were the new thing.

Twenty years ago I tried to enter that world with my '22 Dodge lakes roadster, but found that I lost interest in the project before I even got close to finishing it. It just didn't seem to be something that I could actually use.



At least the next guy finished it.



I guess that this type of car represents something that I never really felt a part of, even though I immersed myself in that culture for most of my youth.

Now those cars are too expensive to be able to casually dabble in. It would take a lot of financial commitment to get involved.

I had an encounter with a real live hot rod just a couple of months ago at the hardware store. I was there buying ceiling paint as I was starting in on that remodeling project that I've mentioned. Sitting there in the parking lot was a bright yellow, cut down, fender less '29 Model A coupe. A gleaming, chromed Chevy engine sat in front of the firewall and it was equipped in a manner that left no doubt about it's hot rod pedigree.

I parked my Mustang convertible a few stalls away, I wanted to take a closer look. Sightings in the wild are extremely rare. I walked up to the car and peered in through the cut down doors. Inside was a simple pleated bench seat done up in black vinyl with a business like looking dash. Every detail had been neatly attended to and the entire car was finished to show car standards, Quite an impressive machine.

As I was at the counter paying for my paint, I looked out the front window and saw the owner, an older gent ( even older than me!) walk out to the car, fire it up and drive out of the parking lot. It looked out of place, incongruous among all the other late model vehicles around it.

Thinking about it today, I realize that it was a modern recreation of Bud Crayne's hopped up coupe. Just like the one in the book. But this car was finished, engineered, and built to a higher standard that Bud could have only dreamed of.

Did I like the car? Is it something that I wished I had built and owned?

Would I be willing to make the kind of financial sacrifices that it would take for me to own a car like that?

To be honest, No.

That car, as attractive as it is an artifact, just doesn't resonate with me, and what my expectations are of a car.

I began comparing it mentally to the Mustang I was driving. Even though my Mustang is a Millenial model it is still a thoroughly modern vehicle. It was engineered and built to be a high performance  vehicle. Enhanced acceleration, handling and braking were the top priorities. Of course time doesn't stand still and it wasn't the quickest car even back in it's day. I'm pretty sure that rod could run away from my car on a drag strip, maybe even reach a higher top speed. However I'm certain that in the real world, it wouldn't be able to maintain that performance over a longer run. It's kind of like a big go-kart. It is noisy, uncomfortable, and even harder riding then my Mustang. There's no a/c, cruise control, or adjustable seating. I doubt that it could match the fuel economy of my car, or the range either. Then there's the safety aspect. While I wouldn't want to get into a collision in any vehicle, the presence of ABS, an impact absorbing steering column, effective shoulder belts and ultimately air bags, would make a big difference in my survival. Structurally, these cars and their modern reproductions were never engineered to survive collisions. In this situation, modern cars are just superior. 1920s and '30s cars just can't offer that type of security. Truthfully speaking, I wouldn't have wanted to expose my Wife and children to those types of hazards.

My Mustang is fast enough, fun enough, and practical enough to be a satisfying Daily Driver. It makes trips of any length fun, and I've accomplished many long trips comfortably in it. I haven't even mentioned that the top goes down. Convertibles are naturally fun cars.

It doesn't look like I'll be adding a classic hot rod to my collection.

But what about something else?

This is a pretty good opportunity to re cover old ground.

I have just moved my XJS out of the garage in anticipation of redoing the flooring in the house. I've got boxes and boxes of household possessions taking up all my hard won "car space." But it has to be done. I had to bring back all my stuff from Public Storage because currently the work is on hold. I don't want to run up hundreds of dollars of storage fees during these uncertain times. The Jags going to have to stay outside for a while. This whole situation is causing me to rethink my approach to old cars. I used to think that I could be the poor man's Jay Leno and have several old cars at a time. Now, I'm beginning to realize that I've forgotten the most pertinent part of that aspiration. The "poor man" part!

While I don't have any real desire to have a classic hot rod, I still have to satisfy that "car guy" urge. So I'll just pass some tome cruising the internet and see if something can capture my fancy.

Stay safe and healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment