Sunday, January 16, 2022

Why so much hate for Harbor Freight?




They always have almost anything that I could want in stock!

While I don't have any problem buying tools there, I know that some enthusiasts do. Why?

I suppose that one of the problems is that there isn't any prestige tied to the brand.

Just like a lot of people will shop at Walmart for the low prices, they don't exactly brag about it. 
At one time you could find a good selection of tools at the local J.C. Penney, or the Montgomery Wards, or if you were really serious, at Sears. 

If you chose you could find a selection of tools at a local big Automotive chain like Grand Auto, Western Auto, or Pep Boys.

You could also find a selection of tools hanging on the wall of your corner auto parts store.

There was also that "bargain table" loaded with mounds of cheaply made and priced tools. 

Unfortunately Sears has been in a serious decline. Home Depot has stepped up at least when it comes to hand tools and small power tools. 

With the decline of these sources has come the rise of Harbor Freight Tools.

They have got a lot of convenient locations as well as a great deal of inventory. 

In  many ways they are a lot like the Dollar Stores. 

As you walk around you find yourself picking up little things that you never realized that you needed, and since things are not that expensive, you might find yourself buying extra items.

I was on the Garage Forums and I was impressed by the tool chauvinism that was displayed on that site.

I get it. You're a serious mechanic, tradesman, or craftsman. You make your living from tools. You want your tools to be as serious as you are. They are something that you are proud of because they are a reflection of your knowledge, skills, and accomplishments. They have cost you a pretty penny, and they are well built and finished, quality items. They are a lifetime commitment. These guys will often pass their tools to the next generation.

Some of those serious people do not like dilettantes

However many of us, especially hobbyists, are the definition of dilettantes! 

Especially us bucks down hobbyists, will appreciate HF's vast selection of affordable tools. 

It's nice to find what you want in inventory. 

Of course there have to be compromises made when things are built to a price.

On the other hand, sometimes it seems that an unnecessary premium is expected for a prestige brand. 

One thing that even a hobbyist learns early is where they cannot scrimp on tools. Many times the quality of the metal used and the forging and machining make a real difference in the usefulness of the tool.

Some open end and closed wrenches are made of a thick cheaper metal to provide the necessary strength.

The same with sockets. The walls are too thick or worse, they are a loose sloppy fit. That can mangle or round off a bolt or nut causing more work to undo. 

A good quality set of sockets is usually an early purchase, especially after coming to grief using substandard stuff.

If you are not a professional wrench then you won't be using those HF tools everyday under extreme conditions.

They will usually provide satisfactory service.

I used to go to Sears, but have you been there lately? Their tool selection is pretty limited. Home Depot has a good selection of their house brand hand tools as well as name  brand power tools. 

Yeah, most everything at Harbor Freight is made in China. But there's "good China" and "cheap China." 



It's pretty high but you still can't get to the center of the car.
I'll pass.








I guess that I am getting old, wheeling my old heavy jacks is getting to be a chore.


One purchase that I'm hoping to make is to buy a pair of lightweight aluminum floor jacks. These are much lighter than the usual steel units. I know that a lot of guys are dreaming of some type of floor lift. Harbor has one big enough to lift an entire car, but in my mind I don't think that I really need one. I usually am not working under the middle of my cars. Wheel, brake, and suspension work is done by the outside corners. I'd have to get under the front to change the oil, lube, or change the starter. 

The lightweight floor jacks will be much easier to wheel around, and I can use both at the same time under the front or rear wheels lifting that end of the car up easily. Jack stands or ramps can be placed under the wheels. The ramps are my choice now as they allow more space under the car. The car also remains at the normal ride height which adds more height. 

When I replaced the transmission in the XJS I used a combination of ramps and jack stands. I'm not planning on a repeat of that performance again!

If you're like most car guys you have probably inherited some old tools from your father or grandfather,

I did. When my Dad passed away I was the one that took his old tools. My brothers didn't want them. My Dad was like most old school guys, he accumulated his collection of tools from various low buck sources. Flea markets, garage sales, and the bargain tool bin at the corner auto parts store. A lot of his stuff wasn't that good even when it was new, and a lot of things did not age well. I went through and kept only the tools that I knew were good enough to use. He even had a few Proto tools in his collection. The rest I donated to the Salvation Army. 

I wish that I could say that I gave them to some young kid in the neighborhood, but there aren't any kids that work on cars around here. 

Someday I will leave all my tools to my Son, I had planned for that to happen around my 70th. birthday. But now that just seems too soon!

I just can't imagine being without any tools. I'd have to at least have some basic tools for the rest of my life. Who would I be if I didn't fix stuff? 






No comments:

Post a Comment