Sunday, August 16, 2020

Thinking about a new paint job. Epilogue


Right behind behind the driver's door is the worst area of the current original paint.

After exploring the different options, and investigating the procedures, have I drawn any conclusions?

One of the first questions that the service writer asks you is. "How long are you planning on keeping your car?"

The length of anticipated ownership is important, not only because the better paint jobs will likely last longer, but the length contributes to the amortization of the cost of the re-spray.

If the car is to be held as a  cherished collectible than it means that you can rationalize spending a larger sum. If the car is just going to used for a year or so then you would like to invest less.

What about the color change?

How satisfied do I think that I would be with the results?

My off the top estimate is that the color change paint job will run from between 2,000 to 2,500 dollars.

Since I take good care of my car and keep it covered up, the re-paint stands a good chance of holding up quite a long time.

An exterior re-spray alone, could be done for around half of the above amount, 1,000 dollars. It would probably have fewer "problem areas."

I have to consider all the options financially. This blog is called Better Beaters after all!

Would it be worth it financially? I only paid 2,800 dollars for the car initially.

What other options might I consider?

How about if I just bought another car?

An alternative has come to mind. What If I buy a car that has an exterior color that would harmonize with Highland Green?


A black Mustang convertible would do the trick.

If I bought a black convertible I would have a two tone combo, The interior door jambs, trunk, and under hood areas would remain glossy black. Black goes with green very well, just ask the Green Lantern!



I always thought that ol' GL had a cool outfit!

I could have the black car's exterior painted green, leaving the other areas the original black. That would extend the two tone combo. In this case I think that it would look pretty good!


This is a '07 model about the newest that I could afford.

I have done a little research looking at black Mustangs circa 2010 vintage. I can only afford the V6 model, but with 300 hp. and snazzy factory dual pipes I'm not giving up much. I also think that the black area under the rear bumper would provide a nice contrast.

Still we're talking from 7,000 to 10,000 dollars, a good chunk of change.

The smart thing to do would be a stock color re-spray.

Not only would it be cheaper, there would less problem areas and I'm sure that I'd ultimately be more satisfied with the result.

Honestly, it would contribute to the maintaining the value of the car, I'm sure that the next owner would be less forgiving about the "problem areas"  than I would.

There was a similar Mustang convertible on the shop's website. They had both before and after photos. The final result looked pretty good.


Not that bad looking, but then neither is mine.

The car looks great afterwards.

A paint job like that would really make my car stand out.

I think that if I do decide on the respray, I'll choose the smart route, this time. I can always find another green car.





No comments:

Post a Comment