Sunday, October 18, 2020

Maybe newer cars are better for older enthusiasts?


2015 V6 Mustang 18,995.00


Or at least some of them.

Like me, Maybe?

I've observed over the years that older guys usually buy better cars. New, near new, or just in really good shape.

They would buy the really good original, or the previously restored car.

I used to criticize them a bit when I was younger. They were just taking the "easy way out!" It makes a lot of sense.

Why would you want to start out with something that needs everything?

Some guys like the challenge, and I suppose that they like the actual work itself.

These are the kind of guys that want things to be perfect.

They enjoy the process, especially when they can control the entire process.

That's fine, to each their own. I've never been accused of needing things to be perfect.

For me, cars are all about the driving.

I enjoy the cleaning, detailing, routine repairs and maintenance. But I don't especially enjoy the heavy wrenching.  I was never suited to taking on the long term project.


I remember seeing car magazine photo shoots from the 50's and 60's.  They always include a shot of the owner standing next to a toolbox, looking under the hood with a screwdriver or wrench in their hand.

That's cool, but if you took my picture, I'd want to be photographed sitting behind the wheel. I'd be checking out a road map planning my next trip.

I guess that you could say that I've gotten kind of lazy, and to be honest, you'd be right!

Not just lazy but older, and I would hope also a bit smarter. Unfortunately not really any richer.

I've always been willing to put in the work because that's the only way I could afford to drive any car or motorcycle when I was younger.

I've pulled the heads to perform a valve job, pulled engines, transmissions, radiators,
springs, ball joints and more.

I've pulled body parts like fenders and doors, hatches and deck lids. Sanded primed and prepped. 

The last really big jobs I've done was to replace the control arms on my '96 Mustang and the transmission in my '89 XJS.

Can't say that I'm honestly looking forward to more work.

I've written that the trick is always to find a desirable car in good shape, at the right price.

Even I have learned that lesson. Most of my cars are in pretty good cosmetic and interior shape. My XJS, XJ6, '96 Mustang, and even, my old Explorer.

It's satisfying to bring a somewhat neglected car back to good cosmetic condition.

Once I get my garage back into shape then I'll be able to proceed with some of my mechanical projects. These have been on hold due to a lack of garage space, funds, and most of all gumption.

The '51 Jag is more of a project than most of the cars that I purchased in the past. The biggest thing is that it was not a running and driving car on purchase. This car needs some bodywork and paint, but also some mechanical work. Even some fabrication and updating. I usually avoided buying cars in this condition.

The biggest problem with this particular car isn't what it needs, it's sourcing the parts that it needs. With my '70 Mustang, I replaced the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, hard and soft hydraulic lines, shoes, drums and brake hardware. All of this stuff was readily available and affordable. That's why traditional common knowledge says that you should always buy a car to restore that has good parts support.

I'm really experiencing that now, new replacement parts for the braking system of the Mark VII are pretty much unavailable. It's even quite difficult to rebuild the parts that are on it currently.

The whole point of this hobby is enjoyment. When you stop enjoying it then you're in trouble.

Jaguar are beautiful cars but they are troublesome. I've always said that there is always a kernel of truth in every stereotype. They are high maintenance. Their parts are not as long lived as parts used in more prosaic American and Japanese vehicles. I've been following a couple of threads where XK8 owners are complaining that the replacement poly urethane parts that they sourced for their suspension repairs are failing after very short mileages. They are not lasting even as long as the OEM equipment, which isn't very long in the first place.

Could my Jaguar romance be soon coming to an end? Maybe.

I've been on the web looking for newer cars that fit my requirements.

I used to like older Cadillacs because they were nice cars, pretty easy to find in good condition, and were relatively inexpensive.  Searching the web I've found 2000 and newer Cadillacs, both full size DeVille types as well as mid size CTS models at pretty fair prices. There are Lincoln Town Cars that also fit the bill. These might satisfy my "plush car" fix.

Maybe I should be looking at Chrysler 300s. They look pretty cool and could be lightly customized. You also have your choice of V6 and V8 models. Magnum wagons are still out there too.

Of course there are always Mustangs.

Look at that orange beauty at the top of the posting.  I love the color. All I would need to do is wash, wax, detail, maintain... and drive. That sounds very good to me. Except that I forgot to add... PAY!

The later V6 models with 300 hp. are just as good as the earlier V8 GTs. They get better fuel economy. They come standard with a dual exhaust system. I would just leave the engine and running gear stock. My 2007 V6 coupe is plenty fast and it has 100 hp. less.

A couple of days ago I was driving by a nice townhome complex designed for retired folks. I pass by this location frequently. I couldn't see any garages just carports. (It's possible that there might be a single attached garage and a covered parking space also included in the package.)

How could a car guy like me live in a situation like that?

I could imagine that an old gent would catch my condescending drift and answer, "Hey Buddy, I don't need to work on my cars any more. This baby's new, and all I've got to do is take it to the car wash every couple of weeks. I'll save whatever energy I've got left for driving. Maybe you should grow up."

Burn!

What would be wrong with that? Even for a true enthusiast. The only true measure of the hobby is the enjoyment that you derive from it.

Today it was really hot, 100 degrees. That's not normal, but I have to admit that it's not the kind of weather that makes me want to crawl under a car! Truth be told, there isn't much that makes me want to crawl under a car these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment