Saturday, January 16, 2021

 Later model Mustangs. A design analysis. Part Two.


A very successful retro design.
I do love fastbacks.

The 2005 Mustang was much anticipated by enthusiasts. Truthfully it was overdue. The SN 97 models  spanned a lot of Mustang fans youthful years. 1994 to 2004. Eleven years is a long time, but not as long as the previous Fox bodies. Their run spanned from 1979 to 1993,  15 years, a surprisingly long run. For many Mustang enthusiasts, the Fox body and and SN 97 "are" the real Classic Mustangs. These are the only ones that they had ever known in their youth.

Of course the era of Classic Mustangs only lasted nine years. This encompassed only four body styles. 1965-66, 67-68, 69-70, 71-73.

The 2005 Mustang was very retro in it's design. It channels the design cues of the entire 1960's line of Mustangs. It was bigger all around. Longer, and wider, There was a welcome increase in wheelbase, track and especially a more spacious interior and trunk. I was very excited because the standard model was an attractive fastback coupe. Fastbacks have been the most sought after and the most expensive of Classic Mustangs. Now everyone that wants a fastback, can finally afford to have one. 

There was also an improved convertible model. The top now folded in a way the simulated a tonneau cover, instead of the front section flipping back, upside down. 


The convertible sports an attractive roof line.

The GT power train was improved with greater output and a new five speed automatic besides the traditional five speed. The 4.6 motor developed 300 hp.

That rear bumper took quite a bit of getting used too. 
Some of us never warmed up to it.

The design remained the same for the first few years, until 2009. Then the design underwent a gradual evolution. The fastback roof remained a constant until this model was replaced by the 2015 model. The Shelby type quarter windows were standard and contributed to the outward visibility and ease of use of the vehicle. The rear end morphed into  a design with a very deep bumper. It was not as well received as the updated front end designs. It seemed as though Ford was running out of ideas, and was just calling it in for the last few years. 

If you are a fan of the classic Mustangs of the 1960's you might prefer the 2005 to 2009 editions. Personally, I also prefer those models as they really channel the Mustangs that I yearned for in my Youth.

Ford wasn't standing still though, with the release of the fabulous Coyote 5.0 engine in 2011. The standard V6 was also upgraded to a full 300 hp, stealing the thunder from the earlier GT models. It even received an attractive standard dual exhaust system.  

The S197 not only was a bit bigger, it looked a lot bigger, in some ways it's a repeat of the 1971 -73 models. Compare it to the SN 97 and it's obviously bigger. Compare it to an earlier Fox body and it seems huge. It's about the same as the new Camaro, and just a bit smaller than the Challenger. 

The market had changed a lot since the 1970's. Moving into the new Millennium there was a dearth of  Personal Luxury Cars. Ford was no longer offering the Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar. 

In many ways the Mustang and the Challenger especially, fulfill this market need. 

This model Mustang is a very effective muscle car. It's also a very good handling car. It's big enough to be more practical and versatile.

We used a 2007 Mustang as our family car for years. We had two children, pre and teen, both not too tall,   5' 6'' and shorter. We used the car for family trips to Los Angeles, Lake Tahoe and lots of other  places. The large trunk with the pass through came in handy for packing different types of cargo. Fuel economy with our V6 model was quite good 27-28 mpg. at freeway speeds. 

Performance with the V6 is also more than adequate, it's actually pretty quick. It's capable of easily cruising at high speeds. After I got the '07 I gave my Son and a friend a ride down to the San Diego area. I dropped them off at their respective schools then drove the Mustang home via US 101. I was impressed by the handling, and the power, I cruised at speeds of up to 90 mph. Top speed is electronically limited to 110 mph. which is plenty. Lighting is very good at night, and I like that it has round headlights.

I have to honestly admit that I don't find myself suffering from the lack of a V8. The 200 hp, plus the 5 speed automatic gives performance that is almost a match for my '96 GT. I wish that the 2005 to 2009 V6 models had come with factory dual exhaust. I'm not interested in changing exhaust systems anymore. I'd rather run the stock equipment. I heard many V6 models that have been modified to aftermarket duals and I don't find the exhaust note to be pleasant.

Driving around town in my '07 it sure seems bigger than all those little compact cars. It's actually almost five inches shorter than a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Of course it's much smaller than all those full size trucks and SUVs.

I prefer the utility and flexibility of the four passenger Mustang over a two seat car like a Nissan 370Z or Corvette. Not only can you carry more people you can carry a lot more luggage.

Still, the size and the styling give it more presence than most other cars. It gives me a feeling similar to my '66 Riviera.  The design with the straight upper body line and squared off front and rear fascias would take well to a little lowering. There are scads of customization parts available for this model.

As much as I love my '96, it can never project that big car vibe. It is sporty but a bit stubby. I can compare them both, back to back. Maybe I'll make the change. I'm going to keep my eyes open for when the right 2005-2009 Mustang becomes available.


No comments:

Post a Comment