Friday, April 16, 2021

 Newsflash! Better Beaters writer is sick and tired of cars! Film at 11!


I don't think that Ron Burgundy would cover this story. 


Is it really true? What does this really mean, and what does it mean for Better Beaters? Inquiring minds want to know! 

No matter what the field is, if you're an enthusiast about anything, you're never supposed to ever admit this. That would be like people giving up playing golf, or gasp, watching football. 

Our enthusiasms are something that we satisfy when we could be spending our time and energies on something else. Maybe something more productive, that we should be spending our energies on! 

These are the things that we've established as our right to engage in, we jealously protect the right to spend our time in these pursuits. 

Sometimes we've even exerted pressure on our personal relationships to allow for enough time and room for these activities to exist.

We've declared that the time spent, the money spent, the energy expended is worth it, even if just for our personal enjoyment. 

This territory was often hard won, and there is no reason to retreat. That is very the definition of the "slippery slope."

Especially if there is a significant other that has always been very skeptical of the benefits of "this enthusiasm" from the beginning. 


Of course whatever the field is, you sometimes might actually feel like dialing things back. Normally though, you just wouldn't make an announcement and call attention to the fact. 

You try to nonchalantly step away for a little while, maybe no one will notice! 

What does this actually mean anyway? 

Our hobbies are activities that we are enthusiastic about. Our interests are ideas that we are enthusiastic about. I do prefer to spend my time thinking about cars and I enjoy thinking about cars. However, it's not the only thing that I am interested in.

These interests are something that can take up a lot of our time.

Because a person only has so many personal resources, sometimes priorities will have to be established. Things have to be prioritized in order to make the most effective use of our resources. 

I've mentioned that I'm in the process of fixing up my house. Rebuilding fences, trimming overgrown trees. Trying to rejuvenate a patchy lawn by overseeding. Painting the house. Helping the Wife with her re-organizing projects. I just finished building a little lean to in the backyard for my lawn mower and lawn equipment out of repurposed fencing materials. Even taking loads of junk to the dump. 

On top of all that I'm having some problems with my house's sewer system. That's causing me a lot of worry and will probably start to cost me a lot of money pretty soon. 

None of this is any news to other homeowners. I know that there are many others out there in the same boat. 

A person only has so many personal resources. They have to make choices. 

A limited amount of energy, enthusiasm, discipline, resourcefulness, or most critically time.

At least once in awhile. 

Even if you are not an enthusiast you still have to deal with cars.

Just like millions of other people. 

Drive them wherever you're going.

Fix them when they need it.

I might not feel too motivated or enthused about working on my cars at the moment. But I'm going to do it anyway. At least the repairs that are really needed. 

I'm not really too keen about all the work that I've got to do around the house. Especially the sewer, but I'm gonna deal with it anyway. 

How is this going to affect the blog? 

There is probably going to be less coverage of repairing my cars and more editorial stuff. As in opinion pieces, reminisces, etc.

I'm treating these like a writing assignment. I'm still working on that book, after all. I'm even trying to write some auto themed short stories. 

There is a certain amount of guilt involved in making this admission.  Starting a blog like this, is like appointing yourself as a high priest of the car hobby. Shouldn't I be expected to set the example? 

I hope that I can continue to produce postings that my readers will still find of value and entertainment. Time will tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment