Saturday, May 1, 2021

 More Mustang miles.


Nothing that I've decided means that I don't still want one.
How's that for some twisted logic?

The  silver lining in the cloud.

We had to rent a car for the trip home, and the lady behind the counter asked about upgrades. She suggested a Cadillac. I asked about Mustangs. They had a few. So we found ourselves in a brand new Mustang GT convertible. My Dream Car!

I was quite familiar with how these late model cars looked, at least on the outside. I'd only sat in a few at dealers' lots. I refer to the 2015 to 2021 Mustangs as the "late models." They all look pretty much the same although there have been some powertrain changes over the years. 

I'd never driven any of them with either of the three available engines.

The earlier 3.7 V6 produced 300 hp. and returned 31 hwy. mpg. It was available with a high performance option that allowed it to exceed 110 mph. Primarily by being equipped with Z rated tires and having the electronic speed limiter recalibrated.

The ECO Boost I-4 produces 310 hp. and 30 hwy. mpg. and is a bit quicker than the V6 which has since been discontinued. These also can be equipped with the performance option, like the earlier V6 models. These are quite quick, I've heard a few with modified exhaust systems that sounded pretty awful to my ears. 

The "Mas Macho" 5.0 Coyote V8 produces 460 blistering hp. Even the all that power, the fuel economy isn't that bad, in the right hands. Rated at 24 mpg. hwy.

When I compare them to my '96 V8 and my '07 V6, they are all much more impressive.

Like all new cars they are complex electronically, with electro luminescent gauges, large screen Navigation, and acres of lighted buttons and controls. 

The design and quality of the materials used in the interior has been steadily improving. They are starting to look and feel like a premium level car. The prices have been rising just as steadily.

The first thing I noticed about the new GT is that it sounded like a really powerful car. It sounded like a beast! The throttle response was immediate, impressive, and dramatic, but it felt easily controllable. 

I had read that these 5.0 models don't get very good real world gas mileage, in fact, I was quite concerned about that. I already knew how fast the car was, but I really wouldn't want to buy a car that only returned 20 mpg. 

It turned out that there wasn't anything to worry about. While I have mellowed out over the years, my smooth driving is rewarded with high fuel economy results.  I was embarking on a 400 mile, one way,  freeway trip. On L.A. urban freeways with moderate traffic, and cruising at approx 70 mph. I achieved an overall mileage of 28.5 mpg. After merging onto I-5 the mileage temporarily exceeded 29.5 mpg. It almost indicated 30 mpg. at one point, driving at 70-75 mph. Once down the mountain into the Valley my overall economy to San Jose was 28.1 mpg. cruising at a steady speed of 76 mph. This speed let me develop an agreeable rhythm. It also included cresting the Pacheco Pass.

This was very impressive fuel mileage, these were the results displayed on the trip computer, it bests my '96 V8, and at least matches my '07 V6.

I had once told my Wife about Shelby 500s and how I thought that they were just too overpowered for my needs. 

Today I mentioned that maybe even the 460 hp standard GT was really more than I needed or... ( get ready!)... wanted.

Both base late models have at least 300 hp and 30 mpg capabilities. Both will hit a minimum of 130 mph. 

Back in the late 1980's the Windsor powered 5.0 GTs would develop around 220 hp and run to 130 mph. The base I-4 was very weak, and it was slow, with a hoped for top speed of maybe 90 mph. The SN94 gave the non GT a V6 which was now adequate, but didn't bestow any glory on the owner. The early 4.6 was rated the same as the last of the house of Windsor, but didn't run like them. Luckily, the 4.6 received steady refinement and power upgrades over the years. 

The new V6 found in the 2005 -2010 models developed 200 hp and with the new five speed tranny matched the acceleration of the 96-98 GT. The 2011 and up V6 was of course even better. It matched the later 2005 and up, 4.6 base GT. 

The cycle has been for the GT to become more and more powerful, then the base models receive upgrades that will make their performance almost equivalent to the earlier GTs. 

Which is a pretty good deal.

I suppose that it could be somewhat blasphemous to declare that the current GT is perhaps overpowered? 

It really comes down to how you want to use and drive your car. It's mostly about bragging rights.

I'm sure that it is pretty competitive in stoplight run offs, and it seems to handle quite well.

But I know that all that high speed capacity will just go unused. At least for me.

Really.

I just don't roar from stoplight to stop light. I don't cruise at supersonic speeds on the highway.  I never really did. 

On my trip home from Riverside once I hit I-5, I tried to find the best rhythm for traffic. I don't enjoy slicing and dicing through traffic as much as I used to. Speeding up when I encounter slower vehicles, jockeying through them, then speeding off. Repeating as necessary.

There were a lot of drivers doing that, a lot less skillfully than I used to. There were a few "hold your breath" moments that I witnessed on my trip back.

I used to do that. Without the reckless antics. My average speed on I-5 back then was 85 mph. But now with truck "races" and traffic, it's just too tiring- maybe I am just getting older. My black NorthStar Cadillac Seville STS was a land based missile, and I used it like that for years. 

Now, I prefer cruising down US101 instead. 

The new 5.0 Coyote powered Mustang GT had been my dream car since it debuted. My Wife had encouraged me to rent one for the weekend to see if I really wanted one. I never found the opportunity. I didn't think that it would make any difference on how I felt about it. 

Now that I've driven it on a long run. To be honest, I really don't want one. Oh, If money were not an issue I'd certainly buy one. I've proven that I can get good mileage from it. But I don't see any reason to pay the premium for unusable extra performance.  The six or even the four would be more than adequate.

In fact, as far as I'm concerned my good old GT is still good enough! 

I was telling my Son about my experience and I think that he was surprised and maybe even a little disappointed to hear of my conclusion. I closed my story by telling him, "You know, I'd never drive that new GT any faster than I 'd drive my red one!" 

Now to turn my energies towards getting a suitable family vehicle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment