Saturday, September 4, 2021


 I wasn't done with the '07 Mustang yet. There were still a few things that I wanted to have done. 


What's hiding under that car cover?


Next up was an oil change.

While I was there I had them change the differential lube. The first time in 164,000 miles. I remember that differentials were once considered to be lifetime components, but a modern car's life has gotten longer and longer. Back in the Old Days it was the engine that went first, usually needing a a valve job by 50-60 K, a complete rebuild at double that mileage, followed by the transmission, usually the original buyer had traded in the car years before the rear end would need attention. 

I went to a real mechanic to have the transmission fluid and filter done. The quickie place will only do a suction fluid removal, leaving the filter in place. Besides that, I wouldn't trust their technicians to do any real wrenching. This model Mustang doesn't even have a dipstick. Sealed for life, Riiightttt! This does insure that once it starts to leak fluid it should be immediately taken in for service. No more carrying a container of fluid and a funnel in the trunk, No more mystery, magical cures being added to the transmission in hopes of a miracle. Theoretically the owner would take the car immediately in for service, maybe they could catch a small problem before it became bigger.

More likely, the owner will continue to drive the car until the fluid drops to a dangerous level and the car quits moving, resulting in serious damage.

It was also time to have the rear brake pads replaced. 

I also wanted to have the fuel pump replaced. When I told the mechanic that I wanted the fuel pump changed, he asked if it there was a problem with it. I told him that it seemed to be working fine, but at over 160 K and over 14 years of age, how long was that likely to last? Fuel pumps just quit without any warning. The fuel pump on my '96 Mustang quit late one night on the freeway, after providing 190,000 miles of service. You never know when that will happen. This was a pre-emptive decision. 

This has gotten me pretty caught up with deferred maintenance

Some of these things could, and should have, been done a few years ago,

It would have spread out the cost over a few years, instead being such a big expense at one time. The oil and diff lube change was 110.00. The brakes, transmission service, and fuel pump was 800 bucks. Add the hoses and belt replacements for 700.00. Over 1,600  dollars work on a car that might be worth four times that amount.

Are there still some things that could go wrong over time? 

Certainly:

The water pump, starter motor, alternator not too mention the power steering pump and a/c compressor. How about the radiator?

The transmission, the differential ? When the airbag recall was done the dealer's mechanics told my Daughter that the rack and pinion was worn. There is a little noise at the extremes of travel but no leaks or looseness, The alignment is holding fine. But telling her that it was worn, worries her. Until a lot of slop is evident in the steering I wouldn't worry too much, but she is a worrier. 

That's another big ticket item for the future, my '96's rack is much the same.

Speaking of the diff, there seems to be more noise from it lately, which I find kind of strange. I always thought that it was a bit noisy even when it was newer. There aren't any grinding or clunking sounds or vibrations. I've never had a diff wear out, could it be the rear wheel bearings? 

Maybe, I don't think that the car will get too many miles put on it in the coming year, I plan to look into it. 

I wasn't trying  going to rebuild the entire car! I was just trying to get it caught up on deferred maintenance.

This was our family car that we bought new. We gave it to our youngest to use and it would be hers when she moved out. That day came years later than I might have thought, but it's finally coming.

Except for a collection of dings and scrapes it is still a pretty solid automobile. I've tried to impress on my daughter that cars need attention and they cost money, pay less attention, pay out more money. 

You are always going to pay. I told her that if you need a new car to feel more secure about driving, well that's a valid choice. You just need to budget for a car payment for the rest of your driving life. Of course there are alternatives that are almost as good, but they take attention and commitment. 

My Wife and I are giving her the car for free, it will be put in her name and she will now be responsible for paying for it's future expenses. 

I know that I don't currently have a lot of feelings for the car, but for a long time, it was one of our family cars, and we went all over in it. It was used for family trips and vacations. It held the four of us, and luggage and stuff. Once we drove back from Camarillo with a large model Ferris wheel in the back seat wedged between the two kids! The folding rear seat backs give it a lot of flexibility in carrying cargo. 

It is, and feels substantially bigger than my '96. It handles great and is more stable at high speeds. To be perfectly honest, the 200 hp. V6 is all it really needs, it will go as fast as you want (limited to 110 mph.) and return excellent gas mileage in the process. I recall driving it down to Southern California to drop off my Son's friend down at UC Irvine and my Son in Ventura at his school.The ride home was accomplished via my favorite highway US101. It was still brand new at the time. It performed brilliantly over this type of highway, the trip was made with the light of a full moon and the headlights were really effective in lighting up the road. I drove even faster than my normal 70-75 mph, I hit 100 and even cruised at 90 mph. for a time. Lately I've been driving it enough to become reacquainted with it's charms. I could be completely happy with this as my only hobby car, but I have the means to stretch out a bit more, and I love the personality of the V8 GTs.  Our particular car, equipped with the Pony package which provided 17 in. Bullet wheels shod with Pirelli Z rated tires, grille mounted driving lights, and a leather interior, is something that an enthusiast could live with. Just as it is. I do have a lot of admiration for the car's design. I drove one at the Hertz used car lot a year or so before I bought the '07 and I was impressed by how beautiful it looked and how good it felt and drove. It made me feel like taking off on a long road trip, which is the best compliment that I can give to any car. 

I'm going to tell my Daughter that if she should decide to trade it in get a newer car that I'd like first dibs on buying it back, it's too good to give away.

I hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment