Friday, May 6, 2022

 Spoiler alert. Part Two.




The Saleen S351 Speedster is an iconic model of the SN95 Mustang, best remembered for the rear seat cowling that give a two seater vibe, very reminiscent of the Thunderbird Sports Roadster of the 1960's. There was a body kit that replaced the front and rear bumpers and modified the side skirts. The Saleen vehicles were not modified standard models, they were built by their manufacturer as a production model. They are not Mustangs with a body kit. Technically, they are not even actually Mustangs, as Saleen is considered an independent manufacturer. Though their body mods components were copied and produced by aftermarket manufacturers and sold as accessories. 

It's not my intention to build a fake Saleen, I just want to improve the looks of my car. The biggest improvement in my eyes is the rear wing. As I've said before, I always felt that both ends of the standard car looked a little weak. I added the Mach One style chin spoiler to improve the front end. The wing extends the rear of the decklid back another three inches, it has a bolder profile that in my eyes extends the upper fender line into a more pronounced wedge shape. I don't know if my wing is an actual Saleen unit or a repop, I haven't seen many for sale, new or used. 

I've even thought about the rear seat faring but I think that it is just too contrived. I don't like to add fake stuff to my cars. Even if Steve Saleen did.  The aftermarket fairings are two piece which can be stored in the trunk, which is more convenient. If I were to find a used one on Craigslist though...

Overall I think that my car has received it's allotment of modifications.  The wheels have been changed to the optional 17 inch 1999-2000 wheels. I prefer the silver painted stock finish over the chrome repro Cobra wheels that were on the car when I bought it. The front spoiler and wing give it a bit more distinction and identify the car as mine. I would like to lower the car, I know that it would look better, but the ride is rough enough as it is. 

Mechanically the engine is completely stock, I didn't want any cold air kits or headers. The only changes are the FlowMaster  cat back mufflers. These sound just right, they are not too loud and don't drone on the freeway. I like the mellow roar and the straight chrome tail pipes, but I wouldn't have changed the original mufflers. 

The problem is to know when to stop. The car could use a new paint job and I've considered it. This is the first old car that I made a commitment to keeping up, and I've been quite pleased with the results. But it is getting to be quite old with quite high mileage. This is what really depresses the value but there isn't anything that I can do about that. Even if I installed a remanufactured engine and transmission, a collector is always looking for a low mileage, original  car. Of course I could just keep it, and that's my plan at the moment.

At least for a while.


It's interesting that when these cars were introduced I had absolutely no interest in them. A lot of my younger co workers had bought Fox bodied Mustang GTs and then traded for the newer SN95 models. I had been driving a Honda Civic SI and then moved to three year old Cadillac Seville STS NorthStar sedan. My future plans were going to include Mercedes and BMW, certainly not any kind of Ford! 

Like a lot of fans that grew up with the traditional Mustang, I felt that these newer cars did not have any real relationship to the Mustang's classic era of the 1960's. The Fox bodied cars were a deliberate break from the past and the vaguely retro Mustang II. I was originally looking for an early 90's GT convertible. I liked the boxy lines, the blunt front end, the cheese grater tail lights, and the aero body kit look of the flares and spoilers. I just couldn't find a good one in my price range, so I took a closer look at the SN95.

During my investigation I found that the newer model had received a lot of structural and engineering improvements. The body and front cross member was stronger. All GTs  had five lug wheels and four wheel disc brakes, with optional ABS. They also came with twin air bags, an important safety improvement. There were a lot of areas of the body and detailing that appealed to me. I liked the air extractor vents in the hood and found the twin cove, cockpit style dash to be quite attractive. I also could see echos of the original Mustang in the proportions of the hood and deck, and the coves and scoops of the quarter panels, as well as the triple lens tail lamps. 

I have had a bit of prior experience with the 4.6 V8. While it was not a powerhouse, it is a modern design, and is well presented under the hood. It just looks nice and neat with the alternator centered in the middle, with the ignition wires running in a neat loom over it. It also had that nice Mustang on the throttle body! 

I will admit that over time the car has really grown on me. It has enough performance to satisfy me. It is plenty quick, handles well, is comfortable for long trips, and even gets pretty good gas mileage. I am now quite a fan of these Mustangs.

Compared to the next series, the S197, I'd say that these cars hold their own. There were again real improvements  made to the chassis and engine of the newer model. The car is bigger inside, and out, which can be seen as a plus or a minus. Since I've also driven and been involved with a 2007 model longer than I have my '96, I've come to some conclusions. I'd say that the SN95s are an evolution of the original Mustang's vision without resorting to a retro design like the newer model. However, I do like the looks of the 2005-2007 models and a fastback Mustang is now within the reach of more enthusiasts.

There are fans of every year and model of Mustang. That's the way it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment