Friday, September 2, 2022

 Should I be concerned that my rational mind is currently agreeing with my emotional mind? 


Work it out Kronk!
 image source: Disney


This almost sounds like the late onset of maturity!

My rational mind is saying,"don't buy anything right now," 

My emotional minds chimes in and says "Listen to that other angel!" 

I don't really want anything else right now. And, of course, I certainly don't need anything right now.

All I should be doing is enjoying my recent purchase, and I am. It only took 16 years to get it. 

What I am definitely enjoying is having less cars.

An empty side yard, two cars in the garage, my truck at the curb. 

There's two cars in the drive, but that's pretty normal.

Why would I want to mess this situation up? Don't I have everything that I want?

I could do without either the '96 Mustang or the XJS, but I don't have to sell either of them.

The Mustang really doesn't need anything.

My intention has been to straighten out the ABS situation with the XJS, then I can move on to other problems.

There's no need to spend too much money right now. I don't really have to spend any money at all. It's the time to save and build up my car fund. 

Do I even want another old car? That's a question that I've been mulling over in my mind. My XJS is 33 years old, my Mustang is 26 years old, both would considered to be vintage cars.

When I say old car, I mean something from the 70's and earlier. I've had lot's of cars from this period. I enjoyed them, but do I want to go back to that time? ( Lot's of question marks in this post!) 

Like the other two cars that I sold, I reached out to another buyer. This time one of the dealers that advertise that they buy "Classic cars" on CraigsList. This dealer has their lot in Monterey, and I've looked at various cars that they've advertised over the years. 

This time I offered up the XJS! Is this a betrayal of some secret, sacred trust?

I just spent all my extra cash to buy the '06 Mustang, couldn't I have spent that money to fix up the Jaguar? Yes, I could have, but I really didn't want to!

I guess that is just the ugly truth. The XJS will never be the favored one. It's sat for years, chances are it would probably sit for more, taking up space.

Will it sell? I don't know. There really isn't much demand locally ( that's putting it kindly for these cars). I've read that there are a lot of these going back to England. Prices for XJS are all over the place. Occasionally a really well preserved, well sorted, low mileage example will show up. These command prices in the low 20K. Then there are the forlorn cars that have sat for years and haven't run for at least that long, sometime racking up late registration fees. These can go for anywhere from 1,000 dollars up to a few grand. 

The buyer asked how much I wanted for it. I decided to send some photos before I give a price. I asked him to make an offer.

He probably won't do that, he'll probably want me to make the first move and I don't blame him. No need to start with more money on the table before the negotiations begin. 

I'm pretty realistic about the value of the car, I doubt that I'd get more than that. The buyer might not want to pay even what I think is my bottom line number. Then I don't sell, and nothing changes. 

Not the ringing endorsement for keeping a car!

Still I should enjoy my relative freedom, I'm sure that it won't last.



No comments:

Post a Comment