Friday, October 13, 2023

 Sometimes the "Old Car Gods" smile on you.


Kickin' it on Olympus.

Ol' Zeus probably had other things on his mind, when I was messing with my Jaguars! Nothing was ever easy with those cars!

First up, the car really needed a new set of tires. Though there was plenty of tread left, three of them had severely cracked sidewalls. The fourth tire had been replaced before I bought it. The previous owner had sustained a flat on the left rear, and the tire store wouldn't fix it. The tire was too old. He replaced it with a new no name Chinese tire. 

I suppose that I could have bought another three cheapie tires, maybe even used ones. I'd been buying used tires for a while. They had been running me around 50.00 each. But they were already older and partially worn out. Eventually, I didn't see them as being such a great deal.

Besides, nothing makes an old car look like something that is valued by the owner, more than a new set of matching tires. I also wanted to buy the type of tire that I wanted, not just whatever was lying around a used tire store. It is a pretty sizable financial commitment, I wouldn't have done it if the tires on the car were okay. I would have preferred to sort the car out first, before spending that much money, but I needed to be able to safely drive the car to evaluate it.


This is the Hankook dealer in Santa Clara.
This is where I previously bought the second set of tires for my F150.

The Riviera uses 16 inch tires, at one time that was considered to be a big tire, but now the selection of replacement tires is somewhat limited. I found a 225/60/16 Hankook Kinergy tire that would do the job. It is T rated up to 110 mph. which is plenty since the electronic limiter shuts it down at 109 mph. The tires ride smooth, grip well, and don't squeal in tight turns. I've had good luck with Hankooks, I'm on my second replacement set on my truck. They have a mileage guarantee of 60,000 miles, which will take me a very long time to approach. I got a good deal on the tires, but since the people running the store primarily speak Korean, you can't make a lot of chit chat.

I've been doing a lot of research on my '97 Riviera. besides reading old road tests, I've been watching various Buick training videos. I also read the owner's manual that I bought off of EBay.

I've learned that there was a fair amount of "automatic" computer controlled features on the car. The idea of twenty five year old computer control does make me a bit concerned.  

Many of these features can be set by using the remote key fob, through the "Owner's Choice" set up, but there are back up procedures that can be utilized through the car's dashboard controls. These are mostly preferences for the lights when the car is unlocked. I wish that I could turn all those off. Maybe after I further familiarize myself with the car.

I bought my car with only a key fob and a single ignition key. I assumed that this key would also open the doors, but it didn't. It also didn't open the trunk. That led to a new concern. If my fob dies, how am I going to get into the car? 

I obviously need to find "someone" that can provide me with the proper door/trunk key. 

I asked at OSH, I'd bought a couple of chipkeys for my '96 Mustang there several years ago. The counterman tried my key in his reader and told me, "This isn't a chip key! Then he told me that he didn't have a blank for this type of key. 

I looked online and found tomskeys .com, there were some helpful videos posted, but they couldn't provide me with a key either!

I had used a locksmith in Santa Clara near Valley Fair, who cut keys for my XJS and my XJ6 a few years back. I went there and the guy told me that this wasn't a chip key, it was a resistor key. He did have a blank and could make a copy for 26.00.

I asked about the door keys. I'd had another locksmith punch a hole near the lock cylinder so that he could read the numbers and cut a key on my '66 Riviera. The locksmith was not too keen on that idea. He told me to bring him the cylinder and he'd cut the key. I still had to pull the right door card to take a look at the mechanism, so that was a reasonable request. OR he said, I could see if the dealer could use the VIN to obtain the key code from the Buick database. 

I knew about that option but didn't consider it very plausible as many parts dept people don't want to bother with old cars. 

I couldn't find a Buick dealer on Stevens Creek Blvd. the one that I remembered was now a Mini dealer. I thought that I'd seen one on Capitol Expwy, so that's where I headed next.

The parts guy at Capitol Buick/GMC was very accommodating. It's not often when the parts dept can provide support for something that was sold during the Clinton administration!  After paying 35.00, I left with a code print out in my hands. I rushed back to the locksmith. He cut the initial key for 60.00, a copy would be 10.00. The initial key worked fine in the doors and trunk, so he cut me another. Now I had two sets of keys. If the fob conks out I can still get in and start my car. I suppose that the ignition switch had been replaced some time in the past. GM had a plague of faulty ignition switches during that period. 

"I think that it might be the fuse" that's what the seller of the Riv told me about the B/O HVAC system. Yeah, I've heard that before, but why would the fuse blow? it's not like the circuits in a house where you can run too many high draw appliances at once, and pop the circuit breaker. But I'd take a look. 


The first fuse panel, was easy to access.


The second, not so easy.
Just gotta' flip the back seat cushion up.




The battery is located under the back seat, just like my Cadillac Seville.
And my Daughter's old VW bug!

There were two fuses located at the panel on the end of the dashboard. One heavy fuse was located next to the battery under the rear seat. It looked as if someone had been in there before me, the fuse terminals looked as though they'd been wire brushed. I checked all three and they were all good. 

To be honest, I didn't really expect it to be a fuse, but you just cant ignore the easy fix. 

I decided to contact the technical director that was listed in the Riview for '95-'99 Rivieras and ask him for advice. I emailed him and I'm waiting for his response. 

I started looking for a local repair shop for the car's stereo. I'd rather stick with the stock stereo if possible. I've read in some forums that the dash opening has to be opened up a bit to accommodate aftermarket units. It depends on how much it will cost to have the unit repaired. I've got some options.

So far, I'm satisfied with the progress that I'm making with the car.

My first priority will have to be in fixing the passenger side window. It's gets really hot in there without working a/c!





No comments:

Post a Comment