AMCA Western Nationals and swap meet; Dixon California June 20th. Part Four
| This table featured major engine parts like heads, barrels and crankcases. |
Lot's of parts, combined with an equal amount of wishes and dreams!
| I guess that you have to start somewhere. |
It takes a lot to rescue and rebuild an antique bike from a partial machine or a pile of parts.
It takes a lot of hard work, commitment, it takes knowledge and perseverance, and now unfortunately, a lot of money! At one time it was mostly personal factors, like the desire to rescue and preserve the machine.
| This Harley JD engine was going for 2,200 bucks. |
I must admit that I was quite tempted by this JD engine, it looked complete. However I'd need a ton of stuff, that I have no familiarity with, to re-construct the bike. A transmission, primary drive, not to mention the frame, forks wheels, sheet metal, and other numerous parts before I could say that I was actually a JD owner. On the other hand, I could join the ranks of other bike restorers combing the swap meets looking for parts and claim that I was now an antique Harley owner. That 2,200 hundred bucks was just the entry fee; I imagine that it would take many multiples of that amount to end up with a complete bike. Not to mention the years of effort in sourcing the necessary parts.
It's apparent to me that the best course of action would be to buy a complete bike, preferably in running condition. Buying it piece by piece will turn out to be much more expensive.
Many times the buyer will see this as a long term, pay as you go project as a kind of financing plan for the eventually finished bike. I used to think that too, but now in my old age, I would arrange some type of loan to augment whatever savings that I had available and just buy a complete running bike in acceptable condition.
| Nice looking Flathead. |
| The seller was asking 11,000 bucks for this partial machine. Keep this example in mind, I'll be referring to it again later. |
| Many times these partial bikes are not the bargains that they first appear to be. |
| I don't know what bike this frame is, but it probably dates back to the 1920's. |
| This De Dion Bouton engine dates back to the early 1900's. |
| Of course there are always little goodies available so buyers won't have to go home empty handed. |
| I was tempted by this Mickey Mouse race car. |
| This is an early Teens Henderson Twin. The owner has been steadily completing it, while he still offers it for sale. |
| The new leather belt is the latest addition. |
I spotted this car parked in a stall and had to take a closer look. It certainly looked like an old Mopar, and I've definitely got an interest in those.
It's a '38 Dodge Doctor's coupe. As opposed to a business coupe, it doesn't have the short cabin with an extended deck. Instead of a backseat, it has a built in cabinet with drawers. As I was walking around checking it out, the owner came over and started telling me about the car.
He told me that he found the car behind a barn years ago. The bottom edges of the rear quarters and doors were badly rusted. He cut all that out and welded in some new metal, them smoothed it and blended it to fit. The project sat for a time while he rebuilt the engine and the running gear.
The interior still need quite a bit of work, but he had temporarily covered the seats and made it comfortable enough to drive. I asked if the Knucklehead was his, and he told me that it belonged to a buddy of his.
| A very neat Knuckle. The elderly gent to the right is not the owner. |
| The traditional sprung solo seat looks like a comfy place to pass the time cruising down the highway. |
| This little moped is probably the only Indian that I can afford. |
I am an enthusiast,and while I can appreciate an antique machine, I'd like it to also be something that I can actually ride. The old saying that a new Harley is really just a modern antique has got me to thinking...
No comments:
Post a Comment