Photos from my San Diego trip.
I have started to take my camera with me on my travels. The photos are nice to have to illustrate my posts, though some have become kind of photo heavy. I have accumulated a back log of pictures and I'm going to use them up in the next series of posts.
| It's a long walk to the front entrance. |
Balboa Park.
| The museum of US. It sure looks like an old church. |
| An ornate entrance arch. This curved walkway encircles the concert plaza. |
| The organ concert plaza |
| The architecture is ornate and a mix of several different historical styles. |
| The Botanical building. You can see the fountain on the right. |
| The Palm canyon trail. |
| A closer view. From this point you can look down on the trail. |
| I can take pictures of trees too. A reference to the movie, Perfect Days. Komorebi. |
| Museum of Art. |
| The recital Hall. |
Although these buildings strongly resemble actual historic structures found in California, they were built to create a certain ambiance that attempted to bring a myth of early California to life. California has been considered a special, mythical place for a very long time, this view was cultivated and built with conscious effort by area boosters.
![]() |
| The Bea Evenson fountain built in 1972. photo source: the web |
![]() |
| The Reflecting pool. Built for 1915 Exposition. |
There are many structures that were built for the 1915 Panama California Exposition that still stand. The completion of the Panama Canal was a historic achievement that amazed the entire world. Now the West Coast of America could be open to international shipping without having to traverse the south tip of South America. This remarkable feat of construction was celebrated with a lavish Exposition, both here in San Diego, as well as in San Francisco.
Many of the buildings built for the Exposition were temporary structures. They were not intended to stand for decades. In 1935 many of the buildings were rebuilt as permanent structures, and they've been here for almost 100 years. Certainly worth a visit.
The park is very popular and it was full of visitors that weekend. Access to the grounds is free, and there are many low cost and free activities that a visitor can partake in.
I did a lot of walking that weekend in 90 degree weather. I have been building up for this level of activity for over two years and I felt great. The following month I was in Bombay Beach dealing with even more extreme heat. My improved fitness has given me a much better attitude and a more positive outlook on life.
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment