Sunday, February 3, 2019

Lessons learned from the movies.


Come for the movie.


This movie chronicles the carer of New Zealander Burt Munro. It is a factually inspired film that tells the story of his trip to the Bonneville salt flats of Utah to run his heavily modified 1920 Indian motorcycle. The movie has been out for quite a while but I had never seen it, I didn't know initially that it was about a motorcycle. I thought it might be about the legendary Native American football player, Jim Thorpe.

It is refreshing for a motorcycle enthusiast to see any aspect of the motorcycling spectrum given the celluloid treatment in a respectful manner. I grew up in the "Wild Angels" biker flick era. These were fun for a teenager, but thankfully (hopefully?) not very realistic.

Burt  is a persistent, penny wise old fellow whose ingenuity and intelligence has permitted him to modify his Indian to a point that there just isn't a suitable venue for a top end run in the Southlands. As an accomplished racer he has heard about the Bonneville Speed Trials and he finally gets the idea to take a trip to America.




Stay for the book.

This book was given to me by my Brother. Since I had already seen the movie  I put off reading it for quite awhile. As everyone will usually say, "the book is better than the movie." There is so much more detail about Burt's life and activities contained in the book.

Burt was a rabid competitor participating in motorcycle racing events in all types of venues. Oh, did he take more than his share of hard knocks and crashes. Not only was he headstrong, it appears that he actually had a pretty strong head!

Being stubborn he wouldn't take no for an answer, either from other people or even his mechanical sidekick.


I found the detailed descriptions of how Burt would fashion scrap raw materials such as tractor axles and cast iron water pipe into components that extended the life and potency of his motorcycle. He used many basic hand tools and a worn out and discarded old lathe.



Burt set his last speed record at the age of 71 years. Wow! It was 136 mph. set at Enteri Beach. Earlier at Bonneville he reached a maximum speed of over 190 mph. Unfortunately he wasn't able to complete the required second return run to secure the record.

Courage? Check. Tenacity? Check. Stubbornness? Check.

Not to say that his life was perfect or exemplary. He was not as attentive as a husband and father as he could have been. This resulted in his Wife's leaving him, taking along the children,. However this did free up a lot of extra time to work on the motorcycle! Everything comes with a cost.



Poignancy: Evoking a keen sense of sadness or regret.

At my age I am now a real sucker for this. It is a feeling that is easily felt. At this point of life I have quite a long period that I can look back on, and reflect on the events of my Life. I also have more empathy than I ever did in the past. Combine both of these qualities with a Rocky movie and things are bound to get a bit maudlin.


My favorite of the series.

What can you say about Rocky? If you are a fan then you will probably get the feel good vibe that 's been present in most every movie of the series.

I suppose that this episode hits a lot closer to my heart because Rocky is about my age, right around 60 years.


The drama arises when the widowed ex fighter feels a yearning to complete and connect to some inner need. The need is to fight, of course. Nothing too big. Just some small local events, just for the challenge. It seems that the current heavy weight champ, Mason Dixon has enjoyed such success that many think that it was because he had it too easy, with sub par competition. He is not respected as one who had to battle his way to the top. Then a computer simulated match between Rocky and the champ ends with him losing by decision. This really angers Mason who feels that he just can't get any respect.

His promoters come up with the idea that an exhibition match between the two would generate some good buzz for the Champ, who would carry him along to the end. No real harm done.

Of course this is a Rocky movie, so the old champ has a slightly different idea!

Boxing aside, the appeal of this story for me is the dilemma of the older fighter. In his life he has enjoyed success, as well as failure. Due to circumstances of his health, his license to compete was pulled by the boxing commission. He cannot partake in the activity that defined his life for so many years. He's trying to reconnect with a lost part of himself. What is he supposed to do, now?

Of course his appeal is denied.  As our hero rises and turns to leave the room. He delivers a heartfelt and stirring response.




   
                                                  Video from the movie via YouTube.

The subplot of the movie is his strained relationship with his adult son, and it is quite touching. His Son feels that he can't be truly himself, or be as successful as he should be, because his Father casts too big a shadow.




                                                Video from the movie, via YouTube


Even as a Father we have a life of our own. Despite the responsibilities of Fatherhood we want to live our own lives and find fulfillment in achieving the accomplishments of our own choosing. Come on Son! Man up and give the old Man a break!

I read a viewer review of this movie that stated that the aim of a Rocky movie was to make men cry. They are pretty successful at this!

What does all this have to do with old cars? A valid question.

Maybe everything. Maybe nothing.

Well, I am not a racer, and I am certainly not a fighter. I'm just a guy that wants to own a few interesting old cars (and maybe another motorcycle!) and drive them to interesting places.

This hobby can be a headache and I find myself surrounded by half finished projects. Sometimes I do feel a little foolish about spending so much time and effort on something that no one else cares about. But that's okay, I'm not doing it for anyone's approval. It's not like I have people around me that are negative about my interests. My Wife has been very supportive and realistically I don't care much about what anyone else thinks.

I remember an interview with Sylvester Stallone that appeared in the Harley Davidson in house magazine, "The Enthusiast" after the release of Rocky III. Stallone says that his movies connect with the audience because they all have some type of challenge to overcome in their life, "even if it's just cutting the lawn."

Old Burt demonstrates how tenacity and ingenuity can accomplish a difficult task even when tethered by a distinct lack of finances. We just have to put in the effort. Stallone's character, Rocky Balboa illustrates that we have to preserve the heart of our passions. "It ain't over 'till it's over!"

Okay Rhett, I guess I got a little existential there myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment