Saturday, June 5, 2021

What do you think about electric cars?


The Ford Mustang Mach E.
not really a Mustang.



Things are going to change whether we like it or not.

Can a traditional car enthusiast develop an emotional attachment to an electric car?


Porsche did a pretty compelling job with the Taycan.


When it comes to outright performance, electric cars can be developed to deliver outstanding performance.

There is no question about that.

Maybe part of the problem for enthusiasts, is that we feel that part of our freedom is being taken away from us. 

The freedom of the open road is one of the freedoms that we cherish as Americans.

Why would we think of things in that way? 

With an IC car we can just get in and drive and drive and drive, stopping only for quick gas and bathroom breaks. You can go clear across the continent in short order.

Electrics will take more time and planning, there are a lot more gas stations than charging stations out there. Each stop to charge will take more time than a quick gas stop. 

For most normal people cars are just a necessary means of transportation, either they drive themselves, or they are driven by a ride sharing service. Or they take public transportation. 

Besides that, they are ready to trade in their vehicles after a few years use. Unlike enthusiasts, who want to keep certain of their cars for years, maybe even forever.

New cars will always appear and older models will fade from the scene. They don't make new '57 Chevies, '59 Cadillacs, or '65 Mustangs anymore. They are gone but not forgotten. If you happen to have one you can still drive it, anywhere you want.

A lot of it comes down to the question of range. The cheaper EVs such as the Nissan Leaf have pretty short ranges between recharges. Expensive EVs like Teslas have much longer ranges. 

Enthusiastic use can really cut down the range substantially, the same happens with ICE's but it's not so drastic. I recall Matt Farah's review of the Porsche Taycan. 

My own experience with a Kawasaki Mach Three motorcycle was similar, the usual 20 mpg could plummet to single digits when the throttle was cranked open for a significant period.

However in actual real world use that kind of performance is seldom sustained or required. 

Gas cars have there limitations too. Most of us don't live in a gas station, so we don't refuel our cars at home. If the stations are closed for whatever reason,  or we don't have any money, we can't drive anywhere either.

I think that a lot of resistance from old time car guys is that we are worried that our current hobby cars might be banned from everyday use. The prospect that our old muscle car, '50's Classic, or vintage sports car might be prohibited from use on the highway is very troubling. It's the old slippery slope argument. 

Effectively it's already happened. High gas prices and matching high fuel consumption have relegated our older vehicles to occasional use. Emissions testing has made it harder to own and use "recent model" ( 25-30 year old) vehicles as they are sometimes difficult to maintain and pass the tests. oftentimes with only minor maladies that do not unduly affect their actual emissions output. 

I don't foresee a time when all ICE vehicles will be banned, at least not for the foreseeable future. 

For one thing, their are vast fleets of vehicles owned by delivery and service providers. Sure there are big companies that will make a quick switchover and crow about it. But consider the average small business owner /operator, your gardener, contractor,  or handyman. They will be challenged to make a rapid switch.

It seems that EVs are getting better every day. While Tesla has been the standard bearer for a long time, other manufacturers are stepping up their game. Ford for one. I don't like the Tesla image, it's too much like the BMW image, at least in my eyes. Smug is not a good look for me. I could see myself owning a Mach E if it comes down to it. But Ford's new truck has gotten my attention.

I am  intrigued by the new electric F150. How good is it?

Ford has a detailed website that answers all your questions. I have to give Ford credit for building an electric vehicle that many Americans will actually want, and really be able to use. The price is not too bad either. It starts at 40,000 dollars and a mid range XLT model will probably run you into the mid 50's. It appears that all models are crew cabs. The dual motor design delivers 4x4 utility. The "Frunk" allows cargo to be stowed without the need for a tonneau cover on the bed. All of these features reduce the cost for additional options and equipment.  The base 230 mile range is acceptable for most uses, the extended 300 mile range can make the vehicle usable for road trips, it depends on how much time will be spent on charging. If you run out of charge it can be towed like any other vehicle, to a charging station. Besides, it seems as though the best idea is to keep it constantly topped up. 



photo source: Ford Lightening site.
It sure looks like a real F150.



Would I be satisfied with an electric vehicle?
I don't see myself as an early adopter, but does it really make much difference? 
If I can take fairly long trips with it, then I could adjust. I might be forced to make more stops, something that I'm beginning to appreciate. The older that I get, the less that I enjoy just "powering through." It might take a little more planning, but nothing that I couldn't handle.

I suppose as long as I still feel that I'll have the freedom to travel, in the manner that I've become accustomed to, it would be okay. I suppose that it's the only thing that matters to me, the method of propulsion is really not that important.

Not to be morbid, but I've only got "so many Summers" left, what matters to me is making the most of them. I was telling my Son that I was beginning to like the idea of a new car, trip prep consists of just washing the car. That's pretty simple and non stressful. For me, it's kind of a weird idea that I should just find a away to take it easy to enjoy life. I've even let my Son help out with the driving on our latest couple of trips. That took a little bit of readjustment. I guess that's just part of getting older, you've got to give up on the idea of being "hands on" with everything. 




No comments:

Post a Comment