Friday, December 16, 2022

 More of a candy apple, than a penny from Heaven!


That's just a reflection on the front bumper.

To think that I thought that I've had enough red cars! These photos are from the CL posting. The car looked just as clean and shiny in person.


It's all about the bass!

These things have always struck me as appealing. I really like the way they look, these second gen Navigators still feature the "Mark" Style chrome grille and the most attractive interior design since my '94 Cadillac Seville. This color combination really clicked with me the moment that I saw it on CL. It just struck me as cheerful and fun, and it looks like something that will fill me with pride of ownership. It looks like  it will make every trip into something special, just like my Jaguar XJ6 did, it makes me feel good just to look at it!

Those dual exhaust pipes are not just for looks, they are part of a cat back performance exhaust that allows the engine to breathe a bit more freely and allows a nice tone to escape to the atmosphere. Will they improve the fuel economy? We will see soon enough.


Boomer's Hot Rod!

I'm going to make one clarification, for the record. I know that this is really a truck, an SUV to be precise. But they were not designed and built to be thought of that way. They were designed as a luxury conveyance, their primary aim was to transport their owner in comfort, silence, convenience, with an air of exclusivity and prestige. At one time I was one of those guys that would incessantly proclaim, "That's not a real Lincoln, a real Lincoln is a Town Car or Mark V!" Well, those days are over. This is the real Lincoln, the Navigator is the top of the line from Lincoln Motor Company and it carries on the grand tradition of great road cars. From now on I will refer to this vehicle as a car. I will even extend that courtesy to my Ford Flex. Both are examples of the vehicle configuration that has displaced the traditional sedan.






As soon as I saw this color combination, I was hooked. The combination makes the car look like something special, and like something that it's owner will cherish. When I went to look at it, it was love at first sight.


Nice job, Lincoln!


This is the interior that set Lincoln back on the path to success. It was this dual cockpit themed dash that initially drew my attention to these cars. It harkens back to the '61-'63 Lincoln Continental. That model was one of Lincoln's high points. I was able to drive my Dad's '63 Lincoln back when I was in high school. This fine design combines flowing contours, and a beautiful mixture of colors and textures, and of course the warmth of real wood inserts. It really makes this vehicle something special.



Ford pioneered these glass "Moonroofs" and I have always loved having one in my car. I love to have the sun shining down on me on a crisp, clear, Autumn morning. 


Looking at this, I no longer miss my Jag.


These door panels remind me of those that were in my Jaguar. I have become spoiled and have been looking for a vehicle that could evoke that same feeling. A beautiful interior has become an important feature to me.








Cavernous. That's the word that applies. There is plenty of room to carry anything and everything needed on an extended vacation trip. If that's not enough, just fold the second row seat. Taking everything that you want, without it encroaching on your passenger's space, is part of the definition of luxury. The third row seat is power activated. Once you become accustomed to the luxury of space, it's hard to go back.

This particular Navigator features the three across, second row seat, which I prefer. Instead of the twin Captain chairs with a large center console. This provides for five passenger seating which is perfect for everyday use. The third row seat is spacious, with plenty of headroom. More importantly it has more foot room than my Flex. Both the second and third rows have split 2/3 seats which can be arranged in a multiplicity of combinations depending on your needs. 

As a point of comparison, the Flex has a more spacious second row seating, along with a bit more cargo space behind the third row, when it is in use. The Navigator takes a bit of space from the second row, and adds it to the third row. I think that it would have been ideal if the Flex had an adjustable second row seat that could be moved forward to provide greater foot space when needed in the back. 

Haters are gonna say. "Isn't it just a big gas hog?" Then flash a self satisfied smirk.

Maybe so, Maybe no. 

Apples to Apples, Oranges to Oranges. My Frenenemy! It's all about the context. All vehicles consume fuel to provide the service that their owner's desire. So does public transportation, and even that Tesla, the electricity that it uses doesn't come from the air, or from magic, it comes from burning natural gas at a power plant augmented by solar energy.  It's a trade off, fuel used in exchange for work provided. 

You cannot honestly compare it to a Nissan Leaf, or a Honda Fit. It can't even be compared to a Toyota Highlander or a Nissan Four runner. It can only be compared to other large SUVs. Or all of those large, full sized crew cab pick up trucks.

Fuel economy numbers are not outstanding, 12 mpg. around town with 17 mpg. highway with 14 mpg. combined. It has enough power to provide relaxing, stress free, high speed touring. These are EPA estimates, I'm curious to see the mileage that I'll achieve. I've always been able to beat those EPA estimates. 

It is a large vehicle, capable of carrying eight passengers, lots of cargo inside, or any combination thereof, all while towing a boat or trailer! You can pick up your relatives or friends at the airport, or squire a small group to a sports outing or other event. 

What luxury sedans have provided in the past was exclusivity and prestige, as well as comfort and space for four passengers and their luggage. As well as effortless performance.

These Navigators and other large luxury SUVs provide the same qualities of prestige and comfort combined with the real luxury of enhanced capabilities and flexibility of use. That is what has made them so popular. 

What really surprised me, was that when I pointed out a new Navigator on the highway, my Wife found them appealing and attractive. I've been advocating for a newer Aviator, but I settled for my Flex as a second choice. It may turn out to be the best choice. ( A new Explorer would have been my third choice.) I guess that she really did like our Seville, I know that she liked the XJ6. 

I'm buying this red Navigator as a hobby car, so it won't have to be used as a daily driver. It is in good condition and only has 109,000 miles, so it might turn out to be a good runner. That all remains to be seen, but I have high hopes. I told my Wife that it's a birthday gift to myself, as well my retirement Tonka Truck!

My Wife also likes it, especially since I quit talking about that '53 Cadillac!

                                                   --------------------------------------------------------

Postscript:

My thoughts about the Navigator have been based on what I've read in magazines and on line. Today I finally got to drive it on a fairly long trip. We had gone to check out the Navigator on our way to a long weekend at Clearlake. It appealed to me right away. The seller and his Wife were very nice people. We did a bit of an inspection and a test drive, where we checked out the features, in the parking lot of a supermarket a couple of miles away. The mileage is low, 109,000 miles, and the car started and drove well. It looked really good in and out,  though there was a damaged clear coat area on the front bumper. There's a small worn area on the passengers seat bottom, maybe it's a burned spot, the sellers were smokers. However, the interior looks great for a 17 year old car. Still, we were in a bit of a rush, but I decided that I wanted it, and made an offer. We quickly came to an agreement. 

We arranged to complete the sale five days later when we would be on our way back home.

During that time I didn't exactly second guess myself, but I kept wondering if it was really as good as I remembered it. I had plenty of time to mull this over, maybe too much time. Did I just rush into the purchase due to my excitement? Even my Wife was enthusiastic about it. That sure doesn't happen often!

I was able to get my Son to help me pick it up after he got off work. We picked him up at his house and drove to Vacaville  The plan was to bring the Navigator back to his house in Martinez, and return later at another time to  bring it the rest of the way home. It's 70 miles between our houses and it takes anywhere from an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half for a one way trip.

This morning my Wife dropped me off at the train station and I took Amtrak up to Martinez by myself. I would walk the couple of miles from the station to my Son's house, and pick up the car and drive back. I went around in circles until I asked for some directions. 

I really enjoyed the train ride, I can talk about this at another time. 

I stopped at a low priced gas station that had been recommended by my Son, 4.89 a gallon. I had read that the car should be run on premium, however I figured that if I put regular in my Mustang GT without a problem, it should be fine in the Nav.

The biggest question on my mind was, "what kind of gas mileage would it return?" This was a good 70 mile run with light traffic. I reset the trip computer and resolved to keep it at the speed limit, like when I drive my truck. I set the cruise at 65 mph. and stayed to the right, I always make it easy to let the hot shoes pass me. 

The Nav ran, braked, steered, stopped, and tracked perfectly. When I left the freeway in Fremont to go to the In and Out Burger, the trip computer advised me of 20.00 mpg! I was impressed as well as relieved. It's not a Prius, but the mileage matches my F 150, and is only 2-4 miles less than my Flex. No problems running it on regular gas. 

After running around in the city, then completing the trip to San Jose, my final mileage was 18.5 mpg. That's still a mile and a half over the EPA estimate. This thing is fast, too. It will rocket up to 80 mph. with a minimal application of throttle. The Nav is equipped with a cat back, Flowmaster dual exhaust set up. It replaces the stock muffler with a less restrictive unit that exits through two pipes. Sounds good, but it's still  quiet. I do love a set of chrome exhaust tips sticking out from under the rear bumper!

Overall I was quite impressed. It felt great on the freeway and it has good tires all round. 

The operative philosophy when driving this vehicle is "Make Inertia Your Friend!" Short trips around town, or constant stop and go traffic, will bring the mileage way, way, down. Restraint when accelerating is also required. It's a heavy vehicle with a powerful engine, it's perfectly capable of jumping away from stop lights or cruising at extra legal speeds, but you will pay for your indiscretions at the gas pump! 

Summing everything up, I love it! It is that "something special" that I've been wanting. It wont take much to cherry it out and bring it as close as I can to perfection. Lot's of content for future posts. I'm not feeling any buyers remorse!






No comments:

Post a Comment