Friday, December 23, 2022

 Replicas, Tributes, Clones, and Fakes.




Does it all come down to the intention to deceive? 

This is my newest watch. It certainly is a handsome example, the combination of stainless steel, black tachometer bezel, and gray watch face makes for a tasteful and expensive look. That is why I bought it. If you didn't know anything about watches, and didn't take a very close look, you might think that it was from a famous luxury watch manufacturer. Or should I say, that you might be fooled into thinking that.


They make a nice watch, though some models are a bit over the top.
The company has a very nice logo.

But that wouldn't be the case. This company is known for building inexpensive watches. Many are very close replicas of certain high end models. They offer quite an array of different colors, finishes and configurations. 


In fact, it sure looks a lot like this watch. This one was introduced in 1963. A watch that was worn by Steve McQueen, a fact that has made these even more desirable. This is the Rolex chronograph Daytona. It's very nice. And even more expensive.

A real Rolex Daytona starts at 25,000.00 and goes up from there! My watch was bought for about 24,940.00 less. That's 60.00 on line, plus shipping and sales tax. Mine is an Invicta Speedway. To be honest, I wasn't aware that it was so similar to the Rolex. I was actually channeling my appreciation of the Omega Speedmaster.




Compared to the Rolex these are almost affordable at around 5,000.00 Maybe that's for a used model, I'm not that up on high end watch prices.

If you see me wearing my Invicta, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't mistake me for one of the 2%. You would be looking for other cues that would convince you that I was the kind of guy that could afford a Rolex or an Omega. My car sure wouldn't do it. My newest vehicle cost me 25K, it was four years old, and it ain't paid off yet. Not only that, but I buy my jeans at Walmart! 

I guess that this whole "Speedmaster" thing was started by seeing this in the Staur catalog.


Note the configuration of the push buttons, the beveled tachometer bezel,
and the three complications on the face. 

These go for around 125.00 through their catalog. I'm not convinced that it is even as good as my Invicta. If you've ever seen their catalog, you know that it is full of nice looking stuff that looks expensive, but really isn't. I've gotten several silver rings with semi precious stones as gifts, from this company. What can I say, I like pretty things. 

There has been a lot written about guys that build replicas of classic muscle cars. "Clones." After all, every muscle car was just a well equipped base model. There may have been some chassis enhancements to go along with the big block V8, but they were essentially the same. Wrap them up in a nice color, add the requisite stripe package, and Bingo! Another rare muscle car is born.

What's wrong with doing this? Nothing in my mind. It's the owner's car. If they really want a Shelby Mustang, or a GTO Judge or a Hemi 'Cuda why not get the same look, and probably better engineered modern performance? Only the VIN will tell the tale. Just one other thing, please don't misrepresent it as an authentic example. Especially when it comes time to sell.

There are other guys that cultivate a "Dress for Success" image by driving five, to ten year old, high end European makes. A nice Beemer, Benz, Audi, or Jaguar is still mighty impressive. One of these cars when immaculately kept, looks new to most onlookers. Unless you are really up on the current models, it's easy to believe that these guys are driving new, or almost new cars. That is the impression that some want to foster. Nothing is wrong with this, most enthusiasts can only afford these types of cars when several years of depreciation drops the price to their affordability levels. If you are lead to believe that they are better off financially than they really are, well that's your assessment. It's called image management.

There were two instances in my own life when I drove three year old Cadillacs that still looked like new. I wasn't trying to impress anyone, I was just a Cadillac lover that could finally afford these recent models as a used car. 

The intention to deceive, that is the most important factor.

I like what I like, I buy what I like and can afford, and I will offer no excuses. Nor should anyone else. 

I got to thinking about this subject after writing an earlier post about Antonio's Rolex. Then I bought a 17 year old Lincoln Navigator. Was I now a poser, trying to look like some rich old fat cat? What's next, should I start wearing a big gold chain and smoke a cigar? 

And that watch! I said that I would never buy a fake Rolex. There are so many Submariner copies out there. I get it, they are good looking timepieces, and you gotta have some money to burn to buy a real one. These watches just scream " Fake Rolex!!!!!" 

High end products exert a strong influence on the market for general merchandise. Design cues from these products are used in more attainable mass market products. We see this in fashion, jewelry, home decor, and automotive styling. All this makes sense, as the high end products are aspirational, things that we would like to own. If we could afford them. So we try to grab some of that cachet by buying similarly styled items, or maybe even by acquiring the actual item purchased second hand! 

Yeah, that dreaded word: "second hand." That is a favorite word of the detractors. A word that is supposed to fill you with shame and the dreaded fear of social rejection. Those glee killers that try to spoil your enjoyment of the things that you had to stretch to buy. Why is it their business to critique what you choose to own? 

Of course they have no business. Some people are just mean spirited, and want to ridicule what they see as poor people putting on airs. Some are smug, self righteous types that think that we should all stay in our little castes. 

Whatever. I wanted a watch that looked nice and tasteful, and maybe a bit special. I bought it as a birthday present to myself. I'd never try to fool anybody. But I'm not gonna preface any compliments that I might receive while wearing it by telling everyone, "it only cost me 60 bucks!" I don't apologize for my Timex.

If anyone wants to say that my old Navigator is a bridge too far, well I won't be able to hear them. I'll have the stereo turned up too high!

The Holidays are here, and I hope that everyone has a pleasant time as this year wraps up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment