Friday, February 3, 2023

 I just took my first top down drives of the New Year.


Not my actual car, but close enough


The first was in my '06 Mustang. I had changed out the MAF sensor and wanted to take a longer test drive before I called it good.

I took the '06 up through Los Gatos and Saratoga in a 50 mile loop. On a beautiful, clear, sunny Bay Area winter day. It was still pretty cold, so I kept the heater turned up. 

During the drive I was reminded of how much I like this model Mustang. It combines the comfort of a personal luxury car, with the performance of a true GT car. The styling is the perfect homage to the first generation of Mustangs and it satisfies my desire to own a classic older Mustang. I was pretty lucky to find this particular car, I had almost given up on locating one. Then I found one in this great color combination in great shape with relatively low mileage. 


This on the other hand, is my actual car
taken over ten years ago in Pacific Grove.


The second drive was a day later in my '96 Mustang.  As I've written, it failed the smog test last week. It had been sitting almost four months, with only a little fuel in the tank. I took it straight to the test station which might have been a mistake.

I wanted to put on more miles and burn up some gas, so I drove the '96 out to the Casa de Fruta then into Hollister and back. Another beautiful but chilly day. I wanted some higher speed running and kept it to 70 mph, with a few bursts to 80-90. My plan was to heat up the catalysts and burn them clean.

My '96 is like an old friend. It's a cozy, comfortable, mellow little car that has plenty of performance that doesn't overwhelm the experience of driving it. A perfect car for top down touring. I have to admit that I don't put the top down as much as I used to, or should. 

I didn't see any other convertibles with the top down. In fact, I didn't see any other convertibles at all. 

Which is not surprising, it seems that convertibles are just not as popular as they used to be, 

Which is a shame, top down motoring is a real treat. Early automobiles were all open cars and driving a convertible is an experience that ties you to the roots of motoring.

As a former motorcycle rider, I liked travelling out in the open, it really makes you feel connected to the environment. Of course sometimes you don't want to feel that connected; like when it's too hot or cold, or raining. 

Then again, it looks like motorcycling is not that popular either. 

Now it seems that some people are gravitating towards three wheel vehicles. Some with two wheels in front.

Some with two wheels in the back.


I have to respect a guy that doesn't want to call it quits with his GoldWing
.

These trikes are for the motorcycling diehards. Most are conventional motorcycles that have been converted into a trike. Spiritual descendants of the old Harley meter maid three wheeler. These seem to appeal to an older demographic, or to those that have physical limitations that prevent them from balancing a 700-800 lbs. machine at stops. I have never seen the appeal of these things, but I have a buddy who told me that he would choose one of these when he gets too old to ride his Harley safely. 

The other traditional design is the motorcycle plus sidecar combo.


"Gimme a hacksaw, I'd rather ride alone."


This was a utilitarian adaptation that allowed greater flexibility and utility to the rider, It has been more popular in Europe but was quite popular here in the beginning of the 20th Century. Most combos were  the sidecar attached to a conventional machine. One popular modern machine has a driven third wheel which makes it similar to a trike. Conventional sidecars take a lot of practice to master. I spoke to a rider of a new BMW rig and he was very enthusiastic about the set up. The side car was very plush with a radio and a detachable hard top. Again I have to ask myself, "Why?"





The Can Am looks like a regular motorcycle with two wheels attached to the front. It appears to be the sportiest of the bunch.

The rider sits on a regular motorcycle seat and steers with regular handle bars. The front track is similar to a compact car, so splitting traffic is out of the question. When I pointed out one in traffic to my Wife, she asked, "What's the point of that?"

Good question. But take a look at the following item.


"Mister, I think your car is missing a wheel!"

Even worse is the abomination known as the Sling Shot. It looks kind of like a mutated, mechanical scorpion. Imagine the front half of a Miata attached to a single driving wheel in the back. The driver and passenger sit in regular automotive bucket seats, and the driver uses a steering wheel. From what I understand these are pretty fast, though I would imagine that they are also pretty traction challenged!

Again one might ask, "What's the point?"

These are legally considered to be motorcycles, so the rider and passenger are required to wear helmets.

I can tell anyone that has never ever experienced cornering a motorcycle in a perfect arc through a curve, that these three wheelers will never be as satisfying. I rode motorcycles for over thirty years, a three wheeler isn't going to replicate that experience, and they aren't really any safer than a regular motorcycle. My concern with motorcycles isn't about possibly going down in a curve, it's about being hit by a car! Truthfully, nothing but being in a car with seat belts and air bags is going to make a difference. Even that, can't guarantee that I wouldn't suffer some injury. I guess I feel that I'm too old and have a history of previous injuries, where I'm not willing to take the chance. 


It's all about the balance.


On the other hand, guiding a good handling car through a series of curves has it's own grace and appeal. The Mazda Miata has delivered a lot of motoring happiness and satisfaction to an awful lot of motoring enthusiasts. At one time, there were lots of British sports cars that provided the template for the Mazda. There are still lots of fans of these British roadsters. Count me a fan of the Triumph Spitfire.

Convertibles have always provided sporty open air fun, and you can choose your favorite model. I've settled on the Mustang. If a convertible isn't right for you, then I would choose a car with a moon roof. I've got two other cars with moon roofs. I occasionally drive those with all the windows down.

It's not my intention to criticize other rider's choices.  Everyone should follow their own path. For myself, I think that once you can no longer lean a machine into a turn, you might as well ride on four wheels. You don't have to wear a helmet in a convertible, and can enjoy a completely unobstructed view. 

In any case, Spring will be here soon. Time to get out there and Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment