Friday, November 10, 2023

 Chuck Berry memorably sang;




Ridin' along in my automobile

My Baby beside me at the wheel

I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile

My curiosity runnin' wild

Cruisin' and playin' the radio

With no particular place to go...

No particular place to go...


Just getting in the car and driving, I can't say that it particularly appeals to me anymore. 

I remember the last time that I took my Honda Shadow 1100 out for a spin. I was riding around and I started asking myself, "Why am I doing this?" I wasn't going anywhere, I was just "taking a spin." I found that I just didn't enjoy it anymore, there didn't seem to be any point. I sold the bike shortly after this.

Not that I need a really good reason.  But I kind of need some kind of reason.

The same thing happened with my '66 Riviera, ( the second one that I bought, not the one I daily drove for years). I took it out for a spin down to Morgan Hill and stopped at a McDonalds for a burger. I sat in the car and asked myself, "Why am I doing this? Do I actually enjoy driving this car? It's not fun to drive like a sporty car, is it because I think that it's a cool car? Do I feel special driving it?"

I had trouble coming up with an answer. The car was sold shortly after that.

Those two episodes occurred about fifteen years ago before I started espousing the "drive it like you love it" mantra. The emphasis is on enjoying the car that you currently own. 

This was what I began to experience when I was dropping off my Daughter at her workplace. I'd drive directly there, but would take my time coming home, windows down, listening to my CDs. I found myself enjoying the drive even if it was just for a prosaic reason.

So now I need some kind of reason, even if it's a made up one!

Even something less important, like going somewhere to look for a bookstore or to an antique store with my Wife. 

I just need some kind of reason.

Compounding the problem is that I'm now pretty familiar with most of the less traveled, and back roads of the Bay Area, and even of my portion of Northern California. 

Back when I was a youngster just going out to see the sights was enough. I hadn't been to a lot of places, really most places. So I set out for the Pacific Coast Highway, Lake Tahoe, Mendocino, or Yosemite. At this point I wasn't even going to spend the night, I would just drive back. That was extent of the outing.

But it was still fun for me, because it was all new at the time. Of course that was over fifty years ago.

Oh to be young again, getting out in the car to spend some private time with your girl. As an old married guy I don't need to do that any more.

However, even running errands is okay. 

I still enjoy driving, especially putting down some serious miles. I just returned from a trip to Oregon. The drive up and back was two days up, two days back. Well over 1,300 miles. We stayed for a bit over a week and didn't travel around once we got there, except to pick up things from the store. 

Vacations and weekend getaways are always a good reason. A while back My Wife and I spent a few days in Pismo beach. I usually enjoy the drive down US101 and this time was no exception. The weather was really beautiful this time of year. 

Car shows, swap meets, even antique and craft fairs. I combined both with a British Car show in Clovis combined with an antique faire. I enjoyed driving my '97 Jaguar to that event.

Sometimes as a young adult, especially if you are still living with your folks, you need to get out of the house to have some time to be alone, to think. The car has always been a means of independence and freedom for young people. 

I shouldn't really complain too much, or too loudly. This is kind of a First World problem. I've got the time, the car, and the money for gas. 

I should choose an event, plan the route and just ...go.

This is especially important as next year I will be entering the decade of my '70's. I was discussing this with my one year older brother, who arrived there this year. I told him that I think of the Seventies as the, "Do it Now decade." Don't put things off, and don't waste your time in pointless endeavors that aren't making you happy. Do the things that you want to do, while you still can. There isn't going to be a lot of opportunities for "do overs." 

I think that I had better take my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment