Friday, November 24, 2023

 This is why we can't have nice things!


Photo from the internet,
not my table. 

This is a refrain that we might have heard from our Mothers as we were growing up. Or we just might have heard it from our Wives or Significant Others in the present. 

I recall it being a lament, when as a youngster I would be careless with something that my Mother valued. Something that was special, meaning sentimental, fancy, somewhat expensive, and easily broken. Especially by a ham handed young boy or careless grown man. This was before she would snatch it out of my hands. 

I will admit that I just didn't get it when I was a kid. I was probably no more careless than any other boy my age, and I didn't see the value in that particular object. 

It takes some time and life experience to develop the feeling around something that is "special."

It could be a family heirloom. It doesn't have to be expensive like fine china, crystal, or precious metals. It just needs to be something that the owners value and care about. An object that has either acquired a strong personal or familial connection, or is something that a person has wanted for a long time. Something that took some sacrifice and effort to obtain.

I was reminded of this during the After Thanksgiving ritual and chore of washing the dishes. In my house, my wife does all the cooking, I don't enjoy it aside from an occasional barbecue. I do the dishes. All the time. My Wife was feverishly preparing the food for cooking, then getting everything in the oven and on the stove to have it all ready for the family feast. Of course, that takes a lot of pots and pans and measuring cups and spoons, and ladles. All of the hardware that is needed to prepare a large multi item dinner. During this process I would dutifully wash dirty pots and pans as they were generated. 

Thanksgiving dinner is the only real "formal" dinner that we celebrate. Formal in the sense that we all sit at the same table with table cloths and cloth napkins, and eat at the same time using the good china, crystal stemware, and silverware that my Mom gave to my Wife. In the past we would combine a couple of tables in the dining room to accommodate the number of family members and guests. We liked making the meal into something "special" that takes a little effort, but it's important to us. The kids seem to appreciate it.

We don't exactly present a Norman Rockwell image at dinnertime, but we do try to make some pleasant family moments. 



Washing the china, glassware, and silverware requires care on my part. I have to be very careful as I wash these by hand. I can't wave things around and bang things into the sink, faucet, or counter top. This does cause me quite a bit of anxiety, but I take things slow and easy. This year, like most others, no dishware was sacrificed, and it was all clean and put away by this morning. There were years that did result in a broken item, much to the dismay of my Wife, and even a bit to me.

It's easy to be dismissive of the feelings that other people have for their prized possessions. Come on, it's only a plate, or a wine glass! It is the feelings that we attach to our possessions that give them sentimental value, if not monetary value.

Of course many family heirlooms are not particularly valuable in a monetary sense. Like most people of modest means, my family never accumulated  things like fine china. crystal stemware, or sterling silver tea sets. But old family photos, mementos, a few pieces of vintage furniture, and such, as well as miscellaneous "what nots" that did survive to be passed on the following generations. I have managed to hold onto a few things that I received from my parents that I want to hold onto and preserve. 

On my own I've got a collection of old magazines and books that I value, and would not like to see destroyed by abuse. Not to mention my collection of vintage items.

Of course there are some bigger things that I do value and that I'm pretty fussy about. Those are my hobby cars! Like most car guys, it doesn't matter what shape our cars are in, we don't like anyone to be casual about abusing them. I told my Wife that the cardinal rule is: Never set anything on the unprotected surface of the car. Not the hood, roof, or top of the trunk! That goes along with: never sit on the cars outside panels.

Another rule is, don't slam the door any harder than necessary to close it. Also, don't play with the push buttons or controls! Just use them to open the window, adjust the seat, or set the radio, no need to play with them! Kids are the worst for this, they love to tilt the power seats as far back as they will go, or roll the power windows up and down, up and down! With an old car you never know when these power assists are going to break down.

Oh how I hate having trash in the car, empty bottles, coffee cups, fast food wrappers, or worst of all, used tissues and napkins! I warn my Wife about being careful not to scratch the paint while walking next to it carrying something. This is even if the car sports faded paint and a couple of noticeable dents or dings, that were there when I bought it! 

If I find a new parking lot ding or scratch, my Wife is sensitive enough to not say, "What's the big deal, it's just a car!" She might just shake her head as she walks away, while I go to find the rubbing compound. 

So I do have a lot of empathy when it comes to her things! 

I was at a home decor/gift store where I saw the following message engraved on a serving platter, "Appreciation of what I have, leads to gratitude." Or something like that. 

At this point of my Life, I have internalized that sentiment.

I hope that everyone enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving Day.


Make a run for the Border! 
photo source: the web







No comments:

Post a Comment