Friday, July 26, 2024

 Comparison shopping.



The size difference is quite apparent in this photo.


This perspective could fool you.

Today I had the opportunity to inspect and test drive a 2015 Lincoln MKC. Lincoln's smallest CUV based on the Ford Escape. This model has been restyled and renamed, and is now known as the Lincoln Corsair.


The split wing grille suits this design.

I have had more interest in the Navigator and the Aviator, but for some reason I've found these littlest Lincolns oddly attractive. 

Part of the reason is because I haven't cared for the original MKX's roof line. It was the same as the Edge, and I just never found the rear roof pillar design to be that good looking. 

I had seen this MKC listed on CL for a few weeks, and since I knew that I was going to be in the Santa Rosa area, I'd thought that I'd drop by and take a look. 


It's smaller size makes it look sporty.



This is a base model MKC, which doesn't have AWD, the trick multi articulated seats, and most importantly to me, a moon roof. It might also be missing some options that come standard on the Select and Reserve lines. It is equipped with the standard 2.0 turbocharged four cylinder engine and is FWD. Stepping out of my Navigator and slipping inside of the MKC was a bit of a shock at first. It is low enough that it doesn't need running boards. The seat is smaller, but it was quite comfortable. I don't see the need for the super trick seats. Good A/C and Stereo, combined with navigation and a back up camera is all that I need. The interior is black leather, not my preference anymore. The quality of the interior materials was very good, I was especially impressed by the open pore wood inserts. My first impression was that it looked and felt like a real Lincoln.



The controls worked with a nice feel and the steering wheel was padded leather that felt equally nice in my hands. Though I did miss the wood steering wheel that I have on my Navigator. I have had a real issue in my mind with the transmission buttons that flank the left side of the dash. I didn't like them. They seemed to me to be kind of cheap. Seeing them in person, and using them, didn't exactly change my mind, but I could understand the reason they were put there. With an automatic transmission, how often do you actually shift gear positions, anyway? It also had paddle shifters if you feel the need to stir the gears.

On the other hand, there are actual switches and knobs to control the audio system and a/c. That's a plus.

The salesman, Luis, was having a slow day so we had a detailed conversation about Lincoln SUVs and this one in particular. When the engine was started up it settled into the familiar four cylinder sound at idle. This smaller four is rated at 240 hp. which is plenty. I found that this little thing will scoot!



I have read that fuel economy is iffy with Eco Boost engines, that you either settle for Eco or Boost, but I think that the problem is with the road test drivers. They always drive with a heavy foot. I haven't read about the Ford Turbo fours having too many mechanical problems.

I was able to take it on an extended test drive through heavy city traffic and about ten miles of freeway driving. 

It has plenty of acceleration off the line and the brakes are great. Under boost it is pretty impressive. The steering felt stable and the car tracked well. On the freeway it was very quiet and smooth cruising at 70 mph. A stab of the pedal quickly brought it up to 85 mph. The ride was well controlled, and smooth. Smoothness was the operative word about this car. I could see myself taking this on long road trips, it would be relaxing, the stereo sounded quite good, and it still had a CD player! And the fuel mileage would be quite a bit better than my Navigator!



Yes, it is pretty tight in the backseat, though when I readjusted the front seats forward a bit, I still had enough room in the driver's seat. I tend to sit pretty close to the wheel. I could fit back here for a moderately long trip. It's still better than my Mustangs. The large rear windows keep the rear seat from feeling claustrophobic.



The luggage area was pretty small with the backseat up, however with the seat folded down there was plenty of room to carry luggage for a two person vacation. It wouldn't cut it as a family SUV, but I wasn't considering it for that task. I think of it as a replacement for a Mustang, or other compact coupe, in that capacity it would do fine. Hatchbacks, wagons, and now CUVs, all provide more utility than a sports coupe, which is why there are not too many small coupes left on the market.



One of my biggest concerns was whether or not the MKC could satisfy me, like a Lincoln should. If it doesn't feel like a real Lincoln, if it doesn't feel special, and make the owner feel special, then what would be the point? I told my Wife that this would be my main criteria. I added that a Nissan Rouge is about the same size and just as functional, but I want to own a Lincoln!

I have not driven an Escape, so I can't make a real comparison, but I thought that it feels more upscale than my 2017 Ford Flex.

I did a lot of research on the MKC online, reading contemporary road tests and watching videos. The testers seemed to think that it was competitive, especially since it starts a lower price point. It is possible to option the car way over the base models, but by then you could buy a bigger model or a European make that had more prestige. They felt that the lower trim models were the best buy.

To be honest, I was really surprised by how much I liked it. It was pleasant to drive, it felt responsive; probably due to it's small size. But that is also it's charm. It's shorter than my '06 Mustang. It seems to pack a lot of good stuff in a compact, easy to drive and park package that is EPA rated at just under 30 mpg. I read many consumer reviews where the base engine delivered over 30 mpg. on long highway trips. 

I am certain that my Wife would love driving this car.



I like the way it looks. The split wing grille looks distinctive, I like how the upper body accent lines flow back from the headlamps, and I like the roofline and the looks of the rear hatch and rear tail lamp panel. I think that it is much better than the early MKXs.


This is a nice display of dual tail pipes.
I like dual pipes!

The new Corsair shares the front end styling touches of the current Navigator and Aviator. I find these to be attractive, but the older MKC is still quite attractive in my eyes, and is much more affordable.

I drove my Navigator on this Sonoma Wine Country trip, and as you can see in the pictures, in comparison to the MKC.

The Navigator is a very handsome and impressive vehicle with a lot of presence. I find it very satisfying to drive and own. 

Would I be satisfied with a MKC?

Do I need a big "macho" machine to be happy?


The MKC is almost as large as my old Explorer.

For the most part, I don't choose a vehicle just for it's size. First, It needs to be comfortable for me to drive.

Then it has to fulfill my transportation priorities and to be satisfying to drive. It doesn't have to be particularly fast. My F150 has made me happy for 17 years and I still enjoy driving it, and it is a very basic model.

I'm always looking for my next vehicle. While I would love a newer Aviator, they're just still too expensive for my blood. They are still trading in the 40,000 dollar neighborhood. That's a neighborhood that I don't live in! 

I'm also considering a couple of Cadillacs; the 2104 and newer CTS and XTS. These models have also been restyled a bit and renamed. The XTS is a front wheel drive platform and went out of production in 2019. The CTS is now known as the CT5  and remains RWD. 

My current fleet of hobby cars is around 20-25+ years in age, that meant that it was possible to find examples still in good condition with reasonable mileage. I think that my next round of cars will be ten years old or less. For the same reasons, plus they will come equipped with built in navigation and a back up camera.  

I'll report on my experience with checking out those other candidates in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment