Thursday, September 24, 2026

 Here are some photos that I took on my Salton Sea adventure.


A patron at the Opera House.

First, some photos from Bombay Beach.


The backyard of the Air B&B.
The boat can be filled with water as a "pool."


The Museum of Toxicology was right next door.


My Son, capturing the morning light. 
That's an old helicopter motor.


Did we end up in Solvang?


The art runs the gamut of quirky,
to disturbing.


Heaven for graffiti artists.





At least, someone's happy!




 









Mickey and his companion have fallen on hard times.



I left my heart (broken, but mended) in Bombay Beach.


A non running Jaguar XJS, not an unusual sight.



This early '60's Chevy truck might still be in use.



This car was here my last visit.


The famous flying fish airplane.



A display of old television screens. 
TV is a frequent target of disdain.


Who doesn't need a '60 Cadillac limo in their front yard?




A late Thirties coupe.


A turtle riding a tricycle on the beach.



I rode all the way to the lowest boat dock in California.
(That's what the sign said,)


Emergency! Duck down!

These pictures were taken on our second day in town. That morning I rode a bicycle through every street in town. Then over the dike onto the beach. It was 110 degrees and I sweated right through two layers of clothing! But I felt great, and I was wearing a big straw hat which protected my face from sunburn.

The town is much neater and cleaner than it was on our previous trip. I found it to be quite depressing then. It's still quirky and weird, but it didn't have the previous feeling of squalor.

That night my Son and I sat on the deck looking at the stars. The weather was very clear and we were far from a large population center. It had cooled down to about 90 degrees. It still didn't smell that good! What I found interesting was that there were houses and trailers that I'd assumed were uninhabited, but from our vantage point at night we could see light burning inside many of them. I guess people stay inside during the day whenever possible.

He pointed out the Milky Way, it was somewhat evident to my old eyes, but not that distinct. He later showed me a photograph that he'd taken, and it looked a lot clearer. We could see moving lights which he explained were satellites, ...or something!  Sitting there in the dark, one gets to thinking about a lot of things, and the discussion turns to weighty subjects.

I enjoyed the trip and the time that I got to spend with my Son. As an adult, he's like everyone else, busy with his own life. I was grateful that he invited me to take the trip with him

The next day we would go explore East Jesus as well as Salvation Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment