San Diego Auto Museum.
Let's take a look inside.
As I mentioned, a large part of the current display was made up of racing cars. These types of cars don't really interest me, so I didn't take any pictures of them. I just snapped photos of the things that attracted my interest.
| I think that this large touring car is a Cadillac from the 1920's |
| When a design is "right" it remains timeless. The Cord is still beautiful, but was not a success in the market. |
| This Alfa coupe displays the light and airy design favored by European manufacturers. |
| Even though I've gotten over my Jaguar fever, a XK120 is still worth a photo. |
| The engine is a work of art, and to think, I had one in my side yard for a time. |
| I don't know what the make of this car was, but it was open for people to take a seat in. Which I did. It was a tight fit. |
| This Chrysler Airflow had a lustrous paint job. It was finished to a higher standard than when it was new. |
| The "non stop" car. As in; to New York and back without stopping! |
| The engine had a complex hydraulic system installed, as well as an air compressor. |
| All of the controls were available to the driver. A complicated wiring harness was added, as well as a series of hydraulic valves and electric switches. |
| That tub was where the washing machine and chemical toilet were located, but not at the same time. |
| The landing gear could raise each rear wheel individually. Note the running board. Passengers would walk along the sides of the car to climb back onto the trailer. |
| These removable platforms allowed the crew to change wheels while still travelling at low speeds. |
| The trailer held extra fuel, oil, spare wheels, coolant, and drinking water. The trailer was refueled while in motion. |
| A small dinette table allowed for alfresco dining as well. There was also a telephone near the table. |
The entire concept of the car was a gimmick, but Louie and his crew made many long distance road runs. Besides New York, they made one to Mexico City and back... non stop! The car received coverage in many magazines, newspapers, and television programs.
There was an interesting video playing at the display which illustrated the many features of the car, as well showing the crew changing wheels while the car rolls slowly down the road.
Bonus; A few motorcycles.
| A early turn of the Century Indian side car rig. |
| A 1980's Honda Magna? These were V4 powered bikes were well engineered, but they all seem to have disappeared from the street. |
| At one time, Brittania ruled the Waves, as well as the street for a time back in the late 1960's. |
| An early Aughts twin cam HD Softail. This engine was only built for a short time before it was superseded by the Milwaukee Four valve. |
| A '77-'78 HD XLCR. This bike has currently enjoyed a resurgence of mystique in enthusiast's eyes. I bought one of these bikes back then. It wasn't that great. |
| I would sure hate to bump into anything seated on a bike like that! |
I'm sure that there are other readers who would have enjoyed the competition cars. I'm just sharing the things that caught my interest. I would also advise anyone, especially an auto enthusiast, planning a trip to Southern California to make a stop in LA to check out the Petersen Museum, which is an amazing automotive display. I have visited that museum several times. In my opinion you can skip this museum. However Balboa Park is a beautiful location, and home to a couple more interesting museums. I truly enjoyed my time exploring the park, but I didn't get the chance to visit the zoo.
Next, I'll share photos from the Air and Space museum.
No comments:
Post a Comment