Friday, April 14, 2023

 Do I still think that old cars are Cool?


That's a rare '53 Buick Skylark.


Maybe.

At least I did for a very long time.

And now, if I don't, this is probably something that I should never admit out loud!

First I'll define the qualities that determine something as being cool in my eyes. It has to be; authentic, esoteric, self assured, confident, unusual, idiosyncratic, and uncommon. Different cars will display different combinations of these qualities, which accounts for their desirability. 

For a long time, old cars were not appreciated by the general public, they just didn't get it. They didn't want to get it. In fact, most regular folks thought that owning and driving an old car was just embarrassing. For the non enthusiast, cars were just things that were to be used and then discarded. Even if they didn't consider them a status symbol, they were like clothing, get some wear out of them and move on to next year's fashions. It was a poor reflection on a person's image to hold onto old things, it sent out the wrong kind of social message. 

Old cars were driven by various subcultures, primarily the poor, who couldn't afford anything newer or better. They would own a constant stream of jalopies, one worn out old car that was fixed up as best as possible, until another beater took its place.  A lot of "Depression Era Baby" senior citizens believed in buying a new car and then holding onto it forever.  When they were growing up, money was tight, and easy credit was non existent, and the use of any credit was scorned. The point was to be frugal and careful with your money, once you bought a car, that was good enough. If your financial fortunes improved substantially, there was no need to replace it, just keep it properly maintained and repaired. The young are usually part of the poor, at least temporarily.  Some enthusiasts chose certain models to be the icons of their generation, whether it be by performance, or customized appearance. Over the years these camps diverged. This was further refined by specific ethnic identification that became equated with certain types and configurations of vehicles.

As those youngsters matured and became more financially capable, what was once something that was done as a cheaper alternative to a new car, became a part of their personal identity, and a means of expression. Ultimately an end unto itself. 

Consider hot rods, which were once crudely built from cast off old Fords. Rebuilt on the cheap for transportation and well as improved performance. As the '50's arrived many of these builders started to build more refined and crafted cars. Many examples were completely trimmed, painted, and chromed. 

Custom cars followed the same path, as these builders applied their improving finances and increased skills to craft modified vehicles that set the styling direction that Detroit later followed. 

As the mid '60's arrived, Detroit delivered the Muscle car. Initially built to capture the dollars of the Youth Market, they were mass produced and marketed. An entire generation grew up owning, or lusting to own, these factory hot rods. The Baby Boomer generation really embraced the Muscle Car, and we haven't let go yet! 

As time passed these types of cars retained their value to their aging fan base, and this attraction has been passed on to the following generations.

Over time these cars became cultural icons that were embraced by celebrities, film and music stars, and the financial elite. As a result of this, they became recognized as something valuable, and also became attractive to the general public. 

This increased desirability has resulted in even the most common and unremarkable models now being sought after. 

In my case, old cars were a way to own the type of car that I wanted, but could not afford when new. Depreciation was my friend. I also had an honest appreciation for older models, that I felt exemplified the qualities of the marque. In my case it was Cadillac. As a fan, I found many of the older models to still be desirable.

And they were much cheaper!

It was a way for me to have something distinctive and somewhat unique, or at least unusual. I have owned many 50's and '60's and '70's cars. At the time they were plentiful and cheap. Especially old luxury cars like Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Rivieras. 

Those same old cars, now any old car it seems, is now selling for a lot more money. While I once bought good running examples for several hundred dollars, I've watched as the prices have steadily climbed. Through the 15 hundred -2,000 dollar range,to the 3,500 to 5,000 range. Even prices like this seems like the Good Old Days!

Now it seems that anyone selling a vintage car thinks that they are made of gold. Even the dullest, plainest,  low level, four door sedan models. Once it was only the convertibles and two door hardtops that commanded a high price. A six cylinder "64 Chevy Biscayne sedan offered for 20,000.00? Be real!

While the seller is free to ask whatever price they want, I don't know that they will be able to actually sell it at that price.

To be realistic, inflation has taken a toll. When I first started driving, gas was only 30 cents a gallon! Reference the news story of the Old Man yelling at a cloud!


image source: the Simpsons

Another factor was attrition, the passage of the years has resulted in a lot of old cars being wrecked or scrapped, and removed from the environment. And the market. So some of the price increase is justified. 

To be realistic, I know that I'll have to pay at least 5,000 to 25,000 dollars for a decent old car.

What would I even do with this old car?

Would I want it as a long range project? The answer is a resounding "No!" I've never been a guy that loves to talk about a car they have in the garage that they are "fixing up".

Would I use it as a daily driver? That's what I did in the past. Of course I bought them expecting to use them as transportation. While I'm not a closet Prius fan, most of the old cars I like get pretty poor mileage. I can't see myself driving a ten mile per gallon car very much.

Would I take it to cruise ins, or car shows? I've been to a few cruise ins, as well as cars and coffee events, and honestly I don't find them all that interesting.

Would I want to park it in my driveway? Another elephant in the driveway? Well I don't really want to park some nasty looking old car in the drive. It's not the age, or styling, it's about the condition.

Would it fit in my garage? I would prefer to hide my nasty looking car in the garage, just as I like keeping my nice old cars safely in the garage?  I used to keep my '71 Riviera and later my '56 Cadillac in the garage, but it was inconvenient. 

I suppose that there are really only two questions? The first is, "Do I still think that old cars are cool."

The answer is simple, and still, "yes. "

The second is, "Do I still actually want to own one?"

The answer is also simple, "maybe."

My attitude might be a bit like the famous W.C.Fields quote about women;



I suppose that the value for the dollar is the main question. I'm pretty much past the stage where I want, or need, (or could, even!) appear to be "cool." 

I could use those same funds to buy something that is almost new, that I want just about as much. Maybe that was always the situation. When I was buying cars for twenty five hundred bucks, there were newer cars that might have cost two to three times as much, but that didn't matter, because I didn't have two to three times as much! 

Now I have a bit more money to play with, and I've even considered financing a car that I like. While I don't see that happening very soon, it definitely remains a possibility.



No comments:

Post a Comment